is it true that grad schools dont prefer...

hl348

Sometimes, yes, but it depends on the university and department. If you are already at the university, I don't think its unreasonable to talk to your professors about staying.

Same department tends to be a bigger concern than same university, but even then there's a fair bit of variation between programs. If you're interested in staying, talk to your professors. They can advise you on how it will affect your chances and whether they think it is a good idea in the first place.

From my understanding, yes. Obviously it's not unheard of, and plenty of programs have accepted and continue to accept their own undergrads. However, my impression is that the bar is usually set considerably higher for someone applying to her alma mater for grad school (especially, as Chimerical says, within the same program) because grad programs want to avoid "academic incest." A program may still accept the applicant, she will probably be at a disadvantage, so her application must really wow them. However, there are extreme cases like with my college roommate, who was told by her undergrad advisor, "Don't even bother applying to our grad program because we won't accept you. If you weren't an undergrad here, you'd be a shoo-in. But this is for your own intellectual and professional good."

This really depends on the school and the program, though.

Edited by Pamphilia

I think it really depends on the department and the POI. I talked to one prof and he said straight up that he doesn't accept undergrads from the same university. One poster referred to it as "academic incest" and that is what he basically told me. You should talk to your professors because sometimes, they will consider it.