Help! Should I ask or wait it out

TCapplicant

Hi everyone, I've applied to some Canadian universities for Teachers College (Undergrad) and so far have heard back from my second choice, but the deadline to accept that offer is wayyyyy before I'll hear back from the other universities. I'm still interested in my first choice, which is doing rolling admissions for non-high school applicants, but there is no deadline. It has been a week since my application is under review. Should I email my first choice to please provide an update before the second choice's offer acceptance deadline? Or do I accept the second choice offer and reject it later when there is a better offer? I am feeling bad either way...but the first choice can allow me to save and live at home :( Thanks for your time! :)

Edited by TCapplicant

I know in a lot of programs accepting and then later changing it to declining is not okay, you're expected to stand by whatever decision you make. And if you accept a spot it means someone else gets a rejection. It can have a chain reaction of people scrambling to reconsider things.

Email the program you're waiting on and ask. The programs I've asked have been really nice. They know other schools have different timelines and you need to make a decision. You could also ask the program you've been accepted to for an extension.