So...do you have to commit to most schools before they consider you for this? I know some schools that I applied to allowed me to fill out an application during the admissions process. But an award letter I got said, "This fellowship will not be combined with any GA or Research Assistantship you may be offered," etc. So it sounds like this is something that schools consider you for much later. Does anyone have experience with this?

2 minutes ago, joyannna said:

I was notified about my GA position a few weeks ago! They said I had till April 15 to decide by, which is also the regular decision date. It probably just depends on the school. You could email their financial aid offices to find out! 

Thanks, I should probably email them...did it come at the same time as your admissions letter/email?

I haven't gotten any financial aid info/ GA/RA offers from the two schools I was accepted to yet. I emailed one and they told me that normally they don't send these out until after the April 15th deadline, but that they are ahead of schedule in the admissions process this year so they might be able to notify before the deadline. For the other school, I don't think they decide until after the deadline... It stinks because it would be helpful to know this information beforehand to make the best financial choice. I think it's different for each school.