American SPA - MPP

It is currently my 2nd choice behind Duke-Sanford.  I also received the above offer but currently live in NC so relocating to DC plus their housing costs would still make it significantly more expensive.  I'm waiting until Duke's Open House (3/31) to make my final decision, just to make sure I don't have a dealbreaker experience there.

I'm not sure how the program rates -- I've heard among DC schools it is probably behind GWU, Georgetown and GMU, more on the level of Maryland.  They are certainly making a push to attract quality students with these aggressive funding offers they've been handing out.  Some things I like about it are a) small class size, 2) the Applied Politics concentration and d) the certificate in lobbying/political campaigns.

1 hour ago, 3dender said:

It is currently my 2nd choice behind Duke-Sanford.  I also received the above offer but currently live in NC so relocating to DC plus their housing costs would still make it significantly more expensive.  I'm waiting until Duke's Open House (3/31) to make my final decision, just to make sure I don't have a dealbreaker experience there.

I'm not sure how the program rates -- I've heard among DC schools it is probably behind GWU, Georgetown and GMU, more on the level of Maryland.  They are certainly making a push to attract quality students with these aggressive funding offers they've been handing out.  Some things I like about it are a) small class size, 2) the Applied Politics concentration and d) the certificate in lobbying/political campaigns.

Full disclosure, AU is my alma mater, so I am biased, but...

When people say AU is considered a lesser school than GWU, I feel the need to point out that GWU doesn't have an edge in terms of employment outcomes in the city, at least last I checked. Employers in DC have great respect for students coming out of AU's programs and the School of Public Affairs staff do a great job of supporting their students and connecting them with opportunities from what I've seen.

As an undergrad at AU, found that I connected better with the students there than at GWU, where I spent a decent amount of time as well. The fact that AU offers more aid opens the student body up to a little more diversity of backgrounds. I found there to be less of a sense of entitlement at AU. That being said, it's probably arguable that GWU has more name recognition outside of the DMV area.

1 hour ago, Dreadfulbard said:

Full disclosure, AU is my alma mater, so I am biased, but...

When people say AU is considered a lesser school than GWU, I feel the need to point out that GWU doesn't have an edge in terms of employment outcomes in the city, at least last I checked. Employers in DC have great respect for students coming out of AU's programs and the School of Public Affairs staff do a great job of supporting their students and connecting them with opportunities from what I've seen.

As an undergrad at AU, found that I connected better with the students there than at GWU, where I spent a decent amount of time as well. The fact that AU offers more aid opens the student body up to a little more diversity of backgrounds. I found there to be less of a sense of entitlement at AU. That being said, it's probably arguable that GWU has more name recognition outside of the DMV area.

I didn't mean any disrespect, and your observations align closely with what I found at AU's Top Prospect Day.  It was an incredibly warm welcome and I got a great, diverse vibe from the rest of the invited students.

Honestly the "what I heard" part of my statement above was actually heard from AU themselves, along the lines of "We know that GWU and GT get the accolades for DC-area schools, but we're determined to prove that our program is just as good."  It was a solid message and it's evident that they're putting money where their mouth is (i.e. they offered me by far the most generous package out of all 8 schools I've gotten into).  Basically, I feel lucky to be in the position that I can consider AU my backup.  I didn't mean to indicate otherwise, but I certainly appreciate your defense.

1 hour ago, 3dender said:

I didn't mean any disrespect, and your observations align closely with what I found at AU's Top Prospect Day.  It was an incredibly warm welcome and I got a great, diverse vibe from the rest of the invited students.

Honestly the "what I heard" part of my statement above was actually heard from AU themselves, along the lines of "We know that GWU and GT get the accolades for DC-area schools, but we're determined to prove that our program is just as good."  It was a solid message and it's evident that they're putting money where their mouth is (i.e. they offered me by far the most generous package out of all 8 schools I've gotten into).  Basically, I feel lucky to be in the position that I can consider AU my backup.  I didn't mean to indicate otherwise, but I certainly appreciate your defense.

No offense taken at all! I apologize if my impassioned defense came across that way--I just like to share my enthusiasm for the school and the experience I had there as an undergrad. What you said is all certainly true. There is an ingrained sense even at AU of GW being a superior school, despite many metrics that indicate they are on par. AU is my backup as well and I agree that's a happy position to be in!

Good luck with your visit to Duke--I hope it works out!

Edited by Dreadfulbard

• 11 months later...

Yes. I have been accepted with $20,000 in scholarship. Have been waitlisted at GW and accepted without being notified of funding to GU and Maryland. Im having a hard time distinguishing these schools from one another. From what my professors said American is a great school for public service