MatSci Results and Discussion

blah

So far it seems like the condition is much worse than I expected. UIUC especially seems to have been hit bad by the economy. I think Stanford is already done with their acceptances too as there's already been a slew of rejection emails.

Only time will tell I suppose. For me, 1 rejection, and waiting for 7 others.

Edited by Totakeke

I got the official acceptance email from Northwestern. The visit dates are March 5th and 12th I think. Did you get the phone call from the professor? If so you should be getting the email soon.

This year, 500 people applied to Northwestern, and each class is only about 40 people, so I imagine the acceptance rate is pretty low.

Did anyone find out or hear from MIT yet?!?!? When do they respond??

I got the official acceptance email from Northwestern. The visit dates are March 5th and 12th I think. Did you get the phone call from the professor? If so you should be getting the email soon.

This year, 500 people applied to Northwestern, and each class is only about 40 people, so I imagine the acceptance rate is pretty low.

Did anyone find out or hear from MIT yet?!?!? When do they respond??

I was accepted to Northwestern last year and an official survey that came to me after I'd declined their offer said that the acceptance that year was 14%.

Hi everyone, I'm also MatSci. Undergrad Caltech, working a year(now) before grad at nano startup.

Applied to MIT/Harvard/Northwestern/UC Berkeley/Stanford/UC Santa Barbara, although Harvard was in "Chemical Physics" and Berkeley is "Applied Science and Technology", rest were for Materials.

So far, got into Northwestern and UCSB, rejected stanford.

Ideally, if I get into Berkeley, I will go there as am already living there, working/making connections at LBL and LLNL.... plus wouldnt have to move.

To get an idea, however, how would others rank these programs, specifically, say I got into Berkeley and rejected all else, leaving only Berkeley, UCSB and Northwestern.

Right now in my mind, I have

Berkeley>UCSB>Northwestern...

comments? opinions? Bursts of outrage?

Hi everyone, I'm also MatSci. Undergrad Caltech, working a year(now) before grad at nano startup.

Applied to MIT/Harvard/Northwestern/UC Berkeley/Stanford/UC Santa Barbara, although Harvard was in "Chemical Physics" and Berkeley is "Applied Science and Technology", rest were for Materials.

So far, got into Northwestern and UCSB, rejected stanford.

Ideally, if I get into Berkeley, I will go there as am already living there, working/making connections at LBL and LLNL.... plus wouldnt have to move.

To get an idea, however, how would others rank these programs, specifically, say I got into Berkeley and rejected all else, leaving only Berkeley, UCSB and Northwestern.

Right now in my mind, I have

Berkeley>UCSB>Northwestern...

comments? opinions? Bursts of outrage?

berkeley is great because of LBNL. having access to equipment at the ALS and NCEM is an incredible opportunity. However, I feel like the MatSci department at berkeley is really small and so you don't get a lot of choices in professors you want to work for. but you're applying to AST so you're not limited to just searching in the MSE department.

IMO, Northwestern would be higher up on my list because they seem to have a lot more going on and a lot more support for their grad students. but i don't really know because i don't go there.

In terms of weather and food though, nothing beats Cal. I am deciding b/w northwestern, stanford, and am waiting on mit. i wouldn't know where to go until I visit.

berkeley is great because of LBNL. having access to equipment at the ALS and NCEM is an incredible opportunity. However, I feel like the MatSci department at berkeley is really small and so you don't get a lot of choices in professors you want to work for. but you're applying to AST so you're not limited to just searching in the MSE department.

IMO, Northwestern would be higher up on my list because they seem to have a lot more going on and a lot more support for their grad students. but i don't really know because i don't go there.

In terms of weather and food though, nothing beats Cal. I am deciding b/w northwestern, stanford, and am waiting on mit. i wouldn't know where to go until I visit.

Well, I am working am working in Bay Area, and will be working at LBL on reg basis pretty soon....so having the experience/access right away if I start at Berkeley is a huge plus. But I am considering all 3 seriously. If your going to NW 2nd week, I'll see you there.

I'm in the same boat. I'm applying to MSE grad schools as well, and so far I have gotten admission to Northwestern and Berkeley, denied at Stanford. I haven't heard from MIT :(

my heart sank and i wanted to throw up when I saw those acceptances during the afternoon. I really believe their 500 word limit was a killer. I hope they have some second round of acceptances, otherwise my choices are b/w stanford and northwestern.

I talked to an MIT MS&E graduate student whom I know, and he said that there are 2 rounds. According to him, the vast majority of people get accepted in the first round, but in the case that any of the first rounders decline that spot is given to people in the 2nd round, which may be in late February or even in early March. The grad student I talked to had an MIT MS&E friend that got accepted that way.

I hear you, blah. Emotionally I've been in shards since seeing the first round of acceptances on results search.

Edited by blah0016

Hahaha! MIT support group!!!!

Yeah, myself and a few people I know are reallllllly fucking bummed. I did research at MIT over the summer in the MSE department, I have publications in JACS and one first-author upcoming in PRL and conference presentations at the APS and TMS, but my GPA was a little low (3.6 cumulative, 3.81 MSE - is that low?!?!). BLARHHGHGHGHAHH

That being said, it seems like results are still trickling out http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=mit+materials.

Also, worse comes to worse, hopefully a successful fellowship app can still pull us through.

Hahaha! MIT support group!!!!

Yeah, myself and a few people I know are reallllllly fucking bummed. I did research at MIT over the summer in the MSE department, I have publications in JACS and one first-author upcoming in PRL and conference presentations at the APS and TMS, but my GPA was a little low (3.6 cumulative, 3.81 MSE - is that low?!?!). BLARHHGHGHGHAHH

That being said, it seems like results are still trickling out http://thegradcafe.c...q=mit+materials.

Also, worse comes to worse, hopefully a successful fellowship app can still pull us through.

Dude, you have amazing stats. I don't have stats as good as yours, but I too did research at MIT DMSE this summer and have a first-author conference proceedings, a conference presentation, and a 2nd author upcoming. I also have a faculty contact at MIT. But apparently that isn't enough. :(

I got admitted to MIT today. I was super surprised because I had prepared myself for the worst. There is definitely still hope. I hear they do roll out admission offers over some time period. G'luck!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY kill me now.

Hey all you who got in, what was your cumulative GPA?

I got admitted to MIT today. I was super surprised because I had prepared myself for the worst. There is definitely still hope. I hear they do roll out admission offers over some time period. G'luck!

Blah--congratulations, my friend! I am very happy for you. :)

What were your stats if you dont mind sharing

Blah--congratulations, my friend! I am very happy for you. :)

What were your stats if you dont mind sharing

3.85 GPA, 800Q/700V/5.0W GRE, and a publication pending in Nature Materials (not 1st author).

Edited by blah