After serious reflection...

hogmommy

I've gone through this over and over again in my head since this afternoon. I think it might be possible that I provided the wrong email address on my departmental data sheet. (I've found myself writing and typing hybrids of my university and yahoo accounts repeatedly.)

For those of you laughing now, especially those without young children, imagine compiling your applications packets with a 4 and 6 year old at home on day 7 of school closures due to snow/ice. :) Most cannot probably imagine that level of distraction.

The fear that I have made this heinous mistake is nagging at me. I have made contacts via email over prior to actually submitting my application so, somewhere in someone's inbox, there is a vaild email address. Should I email the DGS about my possible mistake (which I am really hesitant to do as I have been on a first-name basis with her for nearly 10 years-- cat/house-sitting-- and don't want any appearance of impropriety) or just assume that they will either be resourceful and look me up (in the university system) or just use my phone/address to notify me?

They also have your phone number and postal mail address. They ask for these for a reason, and I don't think an incorrect email will deter them from admitting them. In the worst case scenario, you don't get notified of acceptance/rejection until 2 days after you would have in your email. The last thing you need is a small detail to stress over.

I've gone through this over and over again in my head since this afternoon. I think it might be possible that I provided the wrong email address on my departmental data sheet. (I've found myself writing and typing hybrids of my university and yahoo accounts repeatedly.)

For those of you laughing now, especially those without young children, imagine compiling your applications packets with a 4 and 6 year old at home on day 7 of school closures due to snow/ice. smile.gif Most cannot probably imagine that level of distraction.

The fear that I have made this heinous mistake is nagging at me. I have made contacts via email over prior to actually submitting my application so, somewhere in someone's inbox, there is a vaild email address. Should I email the DGS about my possible mistake (which I am really hesitant to do as I have been on a first-name basis with her for nearly 10 years-- cat/house-sitting-- and don't want any appearance of impropriety) or just assume that they will either be resourceful and look me up (in the university system) or just use my phone/address to notify me?

No, that's not bad. biggrin.gif I received an email two weeks ago from a prospective program saying I had checked a wrong box for something simple. I felt like a doof, but it was minor.

Yes, contact the DGS. It's a professional question. I would also contact the Graduate School to see if there's a way to fix it in the system. They'll be the one to send the email notification and not getting that ASAP would be a doozy!

For those of you laughing now, especially those without young children, imagine compiling your applications packets with a 4 and 6 year old at home on day 7 of school closures due to snow/ice. :) Most cannot probably imagine that level of distraction.

I think this is entirely appropriate. Especially if you submitted online and never got a confirmation email from the school, just double check that everything went through with a quick phone call.

Provided that your home address is correct, the worst case scenario is they don't hear from you via email and send you a letter by post.

If you don't hear anything 1 or 2 days after a lot of decisions start pouring in, shoot the school an email.

Thanks everyone! I was able to submit my application to the grad school online, so I know they have a correct email address--have received confirmation. I also know that my dept. received all of the necessary documents because I put my packet directly into the DGS' mailbox. The only place I might have mistyped the email was on dept. info form, so I'm not going to do anything to call attention to the potential mistake. I can probably handle waiting a couple more days for any decision to arrive via mail, if necessary!