CGS-M -- Do you have to interrupt your funding if you take on paid work experience?

merci

Such as a Mitacs Accelerate? I know the guidelines say you MAY interrupt the award, but do you HAVE to? Just wondering because I was hoping to do a mitacs this summer and then to be pretty much finished with school next May, and do a co-op, but then I would have to interrupt the award for longer than 4 months. 

Anyone know the answer?

There is a maximum number of hours you are allowed to work while on a CGS-M. In the Award Holder's Guide (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp), the matter of outside employment it says that the CGS-M doesn't place any restrictions but:

1. institutional guidelines must be followed, and

2. award holders must devote full-time hours (as defined by the school) to the research or studies that they are funded for

So, you should check with your school, but I think most schools will not allow you to work on a co-op and also be paid for your CGS-M too. 

On 4/1/2017 at 9:53 PM, TakeruK said:

There is a maximum number of hours you are allowed to work while on a CGS-M. In the Award Holder's Guide (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp), the matter of outside employment it says that the CGS-M doesn't place any restrictions but:

1. institutional guidelines must be followed, and

2. award holders must devote full-time hours (as defined by the school) to the research or studies that they are funded for

So, you should check with your school, but I think most schools will not allow you to work on a co-op and also be paid for your CGS-M too. 

Thank you! This is very helpful!