How should I address a 'false start' at my first college?

katiebeth

Let's say I have a blemish on my college record--for instance the fact that I took medical withdrawals my first semester and started fresh a year later at a new school. At my current school (a tier 1 research university), I have done extremely well and am planning to complete an honor's thesis this summer. My lab advisor (someone who picks her own graduate students) said she believes I have a very strong application, but she doesn't know about that first semester, and I'm concerned it will reflect poorly on me. I can very clearly explain why those withdrawals happened, and I think the reasons are good.

Do I need to send graduate schools the transcripts from my first school?

Should I attempt to explain the circumstances around those withdrawals in my SOP, a separate letter, or only explain if asked?

Thanks!

Let's say I have a blemish on my college record--for instance the fact that I took medical withdrawals my first semester and started fresh a year later at a new school. At my current school (a tier 1 research university), I have done extremely well and am planning to complete an honor's thesis this summer. My lab advisor (someone who picks her own graduate students) said she believes I have a very strong application, but she doesn't know about that first semester, and I'm concerned it will reflect poorly on me. I can very clearly explain why those withdrawals happened, and I think the reasons are good.

Do I need to send graduate schools the transcripts from my first school?

Should I attempt to explain the circumstances around those withdrawals in my SOP, a separate letter, or only explain if asked?

Thanks!

1. Yes, you have to send the transcript.

2. Applications have a space where you can explain anything problematic or unusual in your record--gap years, medical withdrawals, a semester of D's due to a non-school-related catastrophe, etc. It's a good idea to keep it *out* of your SOP--generally, you don't want negative stuff in there, unless you're trying to pull off an 'overcoming obstacles' story.

3. If you go into "medical reasons," try to play it up in such a way that you are assuring them that it will never again be a problem (even if it might very well be a problem...yeah, I had fun with that one). Short and sweet is critical.

1. Yes, you have to send the transcript.

2. Applications have a space where you can explain anything problematic or unusual in your record--gap years, medical withdrawals, a semester of D's due to a non-school-related catastrophe, etc. It's a good idea to keep it *out* of your SOP--generally, you don't want negative stuff in there, unless you're trying to pull off an 'overcoming obstacles' story.

3. If you go into "medical reasons," try to play it up in such a way that you are assuring them that it will never again be a problem (even if it might very well be a problem...yeah, I had fun with that one). Short and sweet is critical.

Okay, thanks. I will call each institution before applying just to make sure.

I'll explain it shortly and sweetly in that separate form or send a letter. I'll touch on the fact that after withdrawing I took a year off to get a "real job" and learn about the working world. Hopefully it will satisfy them to know I didn't sit in my parents' basement eating doritos all that time. I don't know how to assure them it won't be a problem in the future without detailing my illness, which I would rather not do. I'll talk to my lab advisor about how to phrase.