MIT 2010

solairne

So I've noticed that results are being posted now for MIT this season... I've yet to receive an email, notification online, or anything via post.... Has anybody else heard anything? I can only assume no news is good news. (Until I check the mail tomorrow to find a rejection, haha.)

So I've noticed that results are being posted now for MIT this season... I've yet to receive an email, notification online, or anything via post.... Has anybody else heard anything? I can only assume no news is good news. (Until I check the mail tomorrow to find a rejection, haha.)

I wouldn't take that too seriously as 'results'. Someone emailed their POI and was told they were out of the running. It's possible the adcom is still trying to make their final selections before they send out official notification.

[edit:] Oh, or they didn't necessarily email them, but that's the impression I get from the "via Other" (unless MIT is notifying by telepathy or something this year?).

Edited by pangor-ban

I wouldn't take that too seriously as 'results'. Someone emailed their POI and was told they were out of the running. It's possible the adcom is still trying to make their final selections before they send out official notification.

[edit:] Oh, or they didn't necessarily email them, but that's the impression I get from the "via Other" (unless MIT is notifying by telepathy or something this year?).

Yea, that's definitely possible. I definitely have realistic expectations, I'm just curious as to if any regular posters on here have heard anything either way, or if Fuzzylogician has any more insight.

As far as I know the adcom met for the first time this Wednesday. I doubt they've made final decisions yet, though I don't really know. You only need to be alarmed if MIT starts notifying accepted students and you don't hear anything, because AFAIK they notify everyone around the same time. That probably won't happen for another two weeks or so, I would guess. A rejection update on the results page is nothing to worry about.

As far as I know the adcom met for the first time this Wednesday. I doubt they've made final decisions yet, though I don't really know. You only need to be alarmed if MIT starts notifying accepted students and you don't hear anything, because AFAIK they notify everyone around the same time. That probably won't happen for another two weeks or so, I would guess. A rejection update on the results page is nothing to worry about.

I remember reading that about Wednesday in a different thread. That's good to know about notifying everyone en masse, though. Thanks again for the helpful advice, as always. :)

To qualify just a bit: the en masse info is extrapolation on my part from the fact that the other three (four?) people that I met last year while visiting, who were accepted to MIT, were all notified the same day as I. MIT made 12 first-round offers last year, so if a random 4 out of 12 were notified the same day, it stands to reason that everyone else was too.

12 offers? That's a bigger than usual program right? I was thinking that each accepts around 5-6 each year?

I think I'm slightly encouraged

A lot of CA schools I've noticed have cohorts of 5-7, but I've seen a lot of schools having anywhere from 10 to 15. Keep in mind, however, that of those 12 not everyone is going to accept.

They expect about a 75% yield, so they're aiming for an entering class of 7-8. UMass usually has a 5-6 person class, but overall they have the same number of grads in the department because more people there stay for a 6th year. UCLA had a pretty big entering class last year, I think they had an exceptionally high yield. Rugters wanted a relatively very small cohort last year (I think they said 3 or 4?). The only other CA school I know anything about is Santa Cruz but I've heard they're having a very rough time with funding so what's happening now is probably not indicative of how things usually go.