Ok so I'm a super n00b so please be nice :) im not actually a grad student but thought you'd all be a great resource for me. Thank you in advance!

So I'm just starting out with pursuing a 2nd Bachelors in Speech Pathology (and will be pursuing my Master's degree soon after), however,  I am unsure if I should eventually pursue employment in Home Health or SNF. I'm thinking about pursuing both (if at all possible) but am wanting more information about each field. 

In all honesty, I am really wanting to know specific differences between these fields (pros and cons of both). Yes, I'll be frank and say that the compensation does somewhat play a role into why I am choosing these fields. I know it isn't "all" about the pay (because you can still make a ton of money and absolutely hate your job/life), however, it just so happens that these would've been the the exact fields (environments and the ages/type of populations) that I would have ideally chosen (elderly/geriatric patients), regardless of the compensation. What is the day-to-day like in either field? Could you please tell me how much recent Masters grads in SLP make right out of grad school? I've seen online that SNF and Home Health could make $75-$80k but I don't know if that's after years of established experience.

I've done some research and read from other SLPs that it may be best to work in a hospital environment first (SNF?) rather than pursuing the Home Health straight away, because as a new SLP, it would be recommended to learn from others as much as possible (and to be around other SLPs when I'm first starting out to gain more experience). I also read that in Home Health, I would mainly be on my own, one-on-one with the patients (another appealing aspect about pursuing Home Health). Is it feasible to pursue both fields at the same time? Also, I was told that being a contract SLP doesn't allow you to get benefits. Are most SLP positions in these fields contract, unless you're employed by either a school or a hospital?

Thanks so much in advance for reading and for all of your help!

Hello! I have worked in home health as a pediatric SLPA so my experience is limited to children. I have minimal experience with a SNF. Here is my limited input:

Home Health Pros: pay is usually good, schedule flexibility, work closely with families/caregivers

Home Health Cons: no shows/cancellations - effects pay, traffic/weather/driving conditions - depending on where you live

* I worked as an SLPA in home health

SNF: I only shadowed an SLP in a SNF for a couple of days. The biggest thing I noted is that most patients are being treated for dysphagia - which could be good or bad depending on your interests. The only bad thing I could say about it, was that there were some patients who were not cooperative with the SLP, which could be frustrating - but I'm not sure if that is typical. 

Hey Alicia! Thank you and I greatly appreciate your quick response!  If you don't mind me asking, could you briefly share with me about how a typical day would be for you, working in Home Health? Also, when you say the pay is good, could you please possibly give me a range? (I know it varies depending on your location but I guess an example of what you've seen would be great). Was the SLP on the job with many years of experience or no? Also, are you going to pursue being an SLP as well? Thank you again for your help!

Edited by gorgeousdoll1

I was working as an SLPA (bachelor's level) so my pay would be less than and SLP's. In Phoenix I made $30 a visit and in Houston I made $45 a visit (started at $40). Keep in mind that is per visit, not an hour. In Phoenix it worked out nicely - 50 minute sessions and my next client would be 10 minutes away. In Houston it did not work out as nicely - 45-50 min sessions with my next client 30 minutes away, sometimes more depending on traffic. Although, that may have just been poor planning of the company. As an SLP you may also have a different rate for evaluations versus sessions, and eventually have the opportunity to supervise SLPA's. I believe a supervising SLP will often receive a small payment for each of their SLPA's appointments, whether you are present or not. You can supervise after you have been an SLP for 3 years. 

I would prep for my clients in the mornings - plan my sessions and get materials together - and do any needed paperwork (time sheets, progress reports, etc). Then I would go about my day. Drive from one appointment to the next. You have to write SOAP notes for each session, however in home health I found them to be really simple - not a lot of detail. Generally they would be done during the session. The company you work for usually gives you a template, or you may have to do them on an online database. If you have to do them online, you will likely have to do them at home. 

As far as scheduling goes I think children vs. adults will be quite different. One of the tough things with children was many of them need after school hours. I would have sparse appointments during the day, and booked in the afternoon/evening - until as late as I was willing to work. Luckily you can generally set your own hours, and I don't think this would be an issue for someone working with adults. My current supervisor sees adults both in her office and home health, and they generally want daytime appointments, as they are available. Another thing you will have to work into your schedule, is completing reports of the evaluations.

From what I have seen home health companies will work you as much as they can. The more you work, the more money they make. They also NEED you so if you set limitations they will listen, you just have to speak up. So your schedule is really going to depend on what you want. I worked for a company I loved and one I hated. I think if you get in with a good company you will be happy doing home health!

Wow I love the absolute thoroughness of your response. Simply put, you're just Awesome! And Hm,  per visit and per hour definitely are 2 separate things. I'm not entirely sure that I've seen that distinction made online, and pretty sure I'd remember that, as it's a very important distinction.

The work you've mentioned sounds very doable and I understand a lot of paperwork will take up a ton of time. I'm sure I'll be ready for it, though. Just curious, you said you were working as an SLPA. Are you no longer pursuing this job at this time? Also, do you see a lot of overtime in this position? What about overall job satisfaction from what you've seen? 

Edited by gorgeousdoll1

I am still an SLPA in private practice, but will be leaving soon to start a grad program (yay!). I'm not 100% on overtime. I always did it part-time so that never came up for me. It would likely depend on the company. Many home health companies hire you as an independent contractor rather than an employee. My guess is if you are a contractor they probably do not pay you overtime, but if you are an employee you probably would. That's another thing to keep in mind when looking at pay. If you're a contractor you will make more, but no benefits. I have always been a contractor so I can't say how much of difference it makes in pay. 

As far as job satisfaction, I think it really depends on many factors. I loved doing it in Phoenix - summer was tough but otherwise mild weather, traffic isn't horrendous, and I loved the company I worked for. In Houston it was really tough. I felt like I was working long hours for little pay - despite having a higher pay rate. I would drive to people homes and they would no show (I didn't get paid for no shows at this company). My supervisor did not find me new clients near my current clients. I have seen a lot of people get burnt out from home health, but I have seen others who do it for a long time and still seem to enjoy it! I think it depends on lot on the person, and the company you work for.