US News Subfield Rankings

Hey...just while we wait, I thought it would make sense to post the subfield rankings that US News did for the four traditional fields plus methodology.:

Methods

1Harvard University Cambridge, MA2Stanford University Stanford, CA3University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MIUniversity of Rochester Rochester, NY5Princeton University Princeton, NJ6New York University New York, NY7Washington University in St. Louis St. Louis, MO8University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA9University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA10Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA11Ohio State University Columbus, OHYale University New Haven, CT13Columbia University New York, NYUniversity of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA

American

1University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI2Stanford University Stanford, CA3Harvard University Cambridge, MA4Princeton University Princeton, NJ5Yale University New Haven, CT6University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA7University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA8Ohio State University Columbus, OH9Duke University Durham, NC10University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI11University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill Chapel Hill , NC12Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MAUniversity of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA14Columbia University New York, NY15University of Rochester Rochester, NYWashington University in St. Louis St. Louis, MO17University of Chicago Chicago, ILUniversity of Minnesota--Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN19University of California--Davis Davis, CA20SUNY--Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY

Comparative

1Harvard University Cambridge, MA2Princeton University Princeton, NJ3University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA4Stanford University Stanford, CA5Yale University New Haven, CT6University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA7University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI8Columbia University New York, NY9University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA10Duke University Durham, NC11Cornell University Ithaca, NY12New York University New York, NYUniversity of North Carolina--Chapel Hill Chapel Hill , NC14Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MAUniversity of Chicago Chicago, IL16Northwestern University Evanston, IL17University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI18University of Washington Seattle, WA

International

1Princeton University Princeton, NJStanford University Stanford, CA3Harvard University Cambridge, MA4Columbia University New York, NY5University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI6University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA7University of Chicago Chicago, IL8University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA9Yale University New Haven, CT10Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MANew York University New York, NY12Duke University Durham, NC13Cornell University Ithaca, NYUniversity of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA15Ohio State University Columbus, OH16University of Minnesota--Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN17Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, MDUniversity of Rochester Rochester, NYUniversity of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI20Georgetown University Washington, DC

Theory

1Harvard University Cambridge, MAUniversity of Chicago Chicago, IL3Princeton University Princeton, NJ4Yale University New Haven, CT5University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA6Duke University Durham, NC7Northwestern University Evanston, IL8Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, MD9Columbia University New York, NY10University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CAUniversity of Notre Dame Notre Dame, IN12University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI13University of Minnesota--Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN14Stanford University Stanford, CAUniversity of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PAUniversity of Virginia Charlottesville, VA17Cornell University Ithaca, NY

Haha, fair point. More because I think it shows that some programs get under-rated in the overall but are strong in a particular field. TAMU is tied with UCD at 24th on overall, so I imagine if they did a more comprehensive list it would have been at 21 or somewhere near. It's definitely very strong for AP from what I understand.

says the guy who's tired of academic elitism on this forum?

lol, just busting your balls...thanks for posting this. where did you find the complete rankings? us news' website just displays the top 10.

I was killed by curiousity so I put down the 10 bucks on my credit card to find out what sat below the top ten, haha.

With the articles I read on this forum regarding the validity of US News rankings, I started to doubt how accurate this could be. I always thought Tufts would be high for their IR. I'm not saying this list is completely off the target, but some schools tend to get ignored due to their lack of 'brand name'and some are higher mainly due to their brand name.

Exactly.

Basically an open secret that programs will odiously pay their way onto the top 10. Hence the large endowments of most of the schools listed (UMICH perhaps being an exception, but, to be fair, they don't really rely on the state budget).

Maybe you're right, but I find it interesting that in AP, five of the top ten programs are at public schools. And not to invalidate my own point, but Michigan has one of the largest endowments of any university in the US. I think it's one of the two or three biggest for public schools, and somewhere in the top ten for all universities.

Also, thanks to APGradApplicant for throwing down the ten bucks and posting these. I hope that US News doesn't come after you for copyright infringement. ;)

Basically an open secret that programs will odiously pay their way onto the top 10. Hence the large endowments of most of the schools listed (UMICH perhaps being an exception, but, to be fair, they don't really rely on the state budget).

I don't think thats true since UT and Tamu have top 10 endowments ad their programs are nowhere on this ranking.

Are these the complete subfield rankings?

They're as complete as US News gets. They list top 10 for free but I had to pay $10 to get the rest (see above). Some subfields only go up to 13, others as high as 20. I guess that's just how USN decided to do it.

Edited by APGradApplicant

For all the theorists out there (there seems to be a lot on this board). Some of you may have seen this; it was posted on the prospective grad student section of the Political Theory Rumor Mill. It's from a survey of 1,086 theorists teaching in the United States, and includes non-US universities (Toronto, LSE):

http://www.calpoly.e...%20%28D1%29.pdf

(school rankings are on page 13)

Top 15 (in order): Princeton, Harvard, Chicago, Berkeley, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Boston College, Texas, UCLA, Columbia, Georgetown, WashU

That is a very interesting survey, although the results seem slightly tilted by a few strong theorists (especially Brown and Connolly). It is interesting to see JH still ranked so highly even though I don't know how much Richard Flatham is teaching/supervising, etc.