Look for housing in NYC/ Columbia art history MA program

lizzzdine

Finally decided to choose the MA program at Columbia over the U.K. program. Just started to look for housing now. Any other art history people who decide to go there and look for housing? Feel free to PM me. And any tips for apartment hunting is welcome!

If you're not in NYC, I'd definitely suggest using Columbia's housing for the first year (or even semester). Finding housing is literal hell, and, if you're looking for something during the back-to-school season, you will 100% have to pay a realtor fee, which ranges between 5 - 15% of a year's rent. The Columbia apartments are beautiful, and relatively affordable (I subletted one for a summer, and it was $1000/month to share a huge place right off the 1 with two girls). Then, you can find a place in the spring when rents are somewhat lower and there are more no-fee rentals.

4 hours ago, modmuse said:

If you're not in NYC, I'd definitely suggest using Columbia's housing for the first year (or even semester). Finding housing is literal hell, and, if you're looking for something during the back-to-school season, you will 100% have to pay a realtor fee, which ranges between 5 - 15% of a year's rent. The Columbia apartments are beautiful, and relatively affordable (I subletted one for a summer, and it was $1000/month to share a huge place right off the 1 with two girls). Then, you can find a place in the spring when rents are somewhat lower and there are more no-fee rentals.

Thanks so much!! I heard similar things about Columbia's housing and I have just applied for it earlier this week. But I also heard the available spot is pretty competitive...So I'll also look for off-campus while I am waiting to hear back.