getting teaching certification vs not

Is it worth it to go for the teaching certification to keep your job options open? I don't think I want to end up working in schools. Also aren't there further requirements after grad school to get your TSSLD? 

All SLPs that I have spoken to advise getting the TSSLD. Some grad programs offer all of the requirements (including student teaching placement) as part of your normal grad school curriculum, but others don't; so check with the specific program you're looking at. 

Also, FWIW, I don't know the exact timeline for this; but I heard that if you don't work in a school position that requires the TSSLD for at least 2-3(?) years within a 5 year period of getting the TSSLD, the TSSLD expires and you have to re-take exams to re-obtain the certification in the future. On the other hand, if you went directly into a school setting that required your TSSLD right after you obtain it; the TSSLD becomes permanent after 5(?) years. So for example, if you were to graduate with your TSSLD and get a CF job that turns into a permanent job in a SNF, since you are not using the TSSLD, it would expire after 5 years. I don't know how complicated it is to obtain the TSSLD after it has expired.

I plan on getting my TSSLD certification. I'm not 100% sure where I want to work/with what population, so for me I want to keep my options open. It also depends on what grad program you go to, like the poster above said. The program I'll be attending doesn't make you apply for a seperate track, however when I applied to Ithaca I had to apply to the specific "with teacher certification" program.

I think as far as other requirements, I believe you have to take parts of the NYS teacher certification exams.

Edited by JcSLP