Great Fit vs. Top 10 (or 20)

Ari*

Great Fit or Great Rank  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When choosing philosophy programs, to what extent did you value your fit with the program over PGR rank or notoriety?

• I valued fit over rank or notoriety.
    • I valued rank or notoriety over fit.

I recently began visiting this site as well as WhoGotIn? and I was surprised to read that many posters applied to all of the top 10 or top 20 philosophy schools according to the PGR, and were rejected by most or sometimes all of these schools. I applied to 4 PhD programs for which I could argue a great fit, and 4 Masters programs as Plan B. I cannot help but notice the difference in tactics that I took (and was advised to take) and the strategy of those who apply to the top 10. I imagine that if I had done likewise, I could easily expect rejection from most of them based on fit alone (and not because my interests are esoteric in any way). I simply cannot believe that the top 10 or 20 programs are so similar that one could argue a good fit with each of them.

Understanding the caveats (1) that admissions into a philosophy program is insanely competitive any way you spin it, regardless of both fit and school rank, (2) that this process is not a rational one, and (3) that we all presumably sought some balance between fit and quality of program, I have a few questions: When choosing programs, to what extent did you value fit over PGR rank or vice versa? How do you think this helps or hurts your chances? Is it possible that our fear of the highly competitive nature of this field both in graduate programs and job prospects causes us to value rank and name over fit and interests?

Just a few thought as I await my results... and good luck everyone!

If you think it is competitive to get into a PhD program how hard do you think it is to get a TT job?

If you want a TT job at a respectable university: Value rank

If you are OK teaching at a community college: Whatever you want

If you think it is competitive to get into a PhD program how hard do you think it is to get a TT job?

If you want a TT job at a respectable university: Value rank

If you are OK teaching at a community college: Whatever you want

I have yet to hear back from my philosophy applications, but I would say that rank of program should be valued more than fit only if the program in which one fits well is not itself respectably ranked. If this condition is not met, then one should go with fit.