Duke Literature Interview

Soccah123

Hi all,

I've been meandering the various grad. forums for a while, and I have a question to ask if anyone is capable of providing me with a bit of insight.

I received an email the end of January inviting me as a finalist for the Duke Literature PhD program. I've spoken to many of my prof's regarding this process, and they all seem to indicate that no school (they know of) would spend a weekend providing housing, food and various events on students they are not intent to recruit into the program. And thus, they suggested that the process seems like a mere formality (just to ensure there are no glaring misrepresentations) before they formally send out their acceptances; however, they've been keen to emphasize that I should go as prepared as possible.

I'm a little more skeptical, though...

From the bits of searching I have done, it seems that -- in previous years -- the program has only have a limited number of available spots, and those students who don't "pass" the interview are consequently waitlisted. As such, I've been trying to glean some info into the actual interview process, and have come up short. I assume a host of the usual questions will be asked (e.g. "why duke?") but I'm unsure as to the specific nature of the Duke Lit. process, itself (are they going to quiz me theoretically? should I be reading up on the prof's I mentioned in my statement? etc).

From what I've been able to extract from the grad. admin, it's won't be just one interview, as she made mention that she'll be scheduling my interviewS for the morning.

If anyone knows any former or current Lit. Phd's who have undergone this process and can put me in touch -- or, anyone in general who knows how they conduct this stuff, I would greatly... GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks all!

I received an email the end of January inviting me as a finalist for the Duke Literature PhD program. I've spoken to many of my prof's regarding this process, and they all seem to indicate that no school (they know of) would spend a weekend providing housing, food and various events on students they are not intent to recruit into the program. And thus, they suggested that the process seems like a mere formality (just to ensure there are no glaring misrepresentations) before they formally send out their acceptances

I beg to differ. I was invited to a similar weekend at Brown last year (flight, food, and housing were covered), and only about 1/3 of us were eventually admitted. Many schools do extend this simply as a formality, but I would not assume that's the case.

I'm not in literature, but I would imagine most graduate interviews are similar. At Brown, they had info sessions on day 1. They introduced you to the faculty and graduate students, and everyone did a little spiel. On day 2, there was a tour of campus and Providence and then interviews that afternoon. Each of us was interviewed by the 3 professors whose interests most closely matched our own, as well as the DGS. It was very informal, and the interviews mostly consisted of 1) what we wanted to study 2) why we wanted to study it 3) why we wanted to study it there and 4) how we would fit in at Brown.

I hope that helps...just be prepared, and try not to get nervous. I'm biased, but Duke is pretty awesome, so good luck! :)

I beg to differ. I was invited to a similar weekend at Brown last year (flight, food, and housing were covered), and only about 1/3 of us were eventually admitted. Many schools do extend this simply as a formality, but I would not assume that's the case.

I'm not in literature, but I would imagine most graduate interviews are similar. At Brown, they had info sessions on day 1. They introduced you to the faculty and graduate students, and everyone did a little spiel. On day 2, there was a tour of campus and Providence and then interviews that afternoon. Each of us was interviewed by the 3 professors whose interests most closely matched our own, as well as the DGS. It was very informal, and the interviews mostly consisted of 1) what we wanted to study 2) why we wanted to study it 3) why we wanted to study it there and 4) how we would fit in at Brown.

I hope that helps...just be prepared, and try not to get nervous. I'm biased, but Duke is pretty awesome, so good luck! :)

Thanks -- that helps a good deal.

What program were you interviewed for at Brown? Do you know how many students were invited to your prospectives weekend at Brown? 10 were invited to Duke, so I'm assuming they'll have 6-7 spots open for admission (the statistics show that they usually take anywhere from 6-10 per year).

And yes, it is similarly structured: info sessions, meetings with faculty and cohort, etc... except, we interview -- not with professors who necessarily match our own interests -- but with the admissions committee (only one prof. I mentioned in my statement sits on the committee).

I'm, of course, quite nervous: Lit. has a strong marxist inclination that coincides with my theoretical approach, and thus is my first choice; I don't want to screw it up!

Thanks for the vote of luck, I'll need it! hehe :)