MIT PhD decisions...

DJLamar

They started today, it looks like. Judging by last year's results, they accept everyone they want within two or three days of the first notice. Then a week after that they post rejections on the website for everyone else.

So what that means for most of us here: get ready to hear a whole lot of nothing and to be gravely worried about it.

Well it looks like one brave soul called the Admissions Office and found out that any offers on the results forum would be unofficial at this point and that formal offers have not been sent out. That and the inherent honesty issue: I wouldn't start the clock until someone who actually comments on this forum hears a result.

That and the inherent honesty issue: I wouldn't start the clock until someone who actually comments on this forum hears a result.

Yeah okay, good point. There was the one person that posted an acceptance with 6 journal publications, 10 conference publications, 4.0 GPA, 800/800/5.0 on the GRE... that seems somewhat hyperbolic -- either that or this person was superhuman (I'm pretty sure there are newly hired professors in this field that don't have that kind of publication record).

"You can log into this web site in early March to see our admissions decision."

This is what is copied from the application website. How do you know they start to release admission decisions from today? This message is different from usual one, which indicates "Late Feb.". They seem to have much more applications than before.

Anyway, has anyone got something from MIT ?

huh.gif

6 journal publications, 10 conference publications, 4.0 GPA, 800/800/5.0 on the GRE

Well my fella's got 800/800/5.5 :) Not the GPA though, but that was 10 years ago and in another hemisphere. I thought MIT CS doesn't ask for GRE scores...I think we sent them anyway.

Well my fella's got 800/800/5.5 :) Not the GPA though, but that was 10 years ago and in another hemisphere. I thought MIT CS doesn't ask for GRE scores...I think we sent them anyway.

Hey, that about the GRE scores is another good point that I had forgotten. Yeah, I call bullshit on this result submission haha. Has to be fake.

And J.s., there are three or four acceptances for MIT listed in the results search. The question is whether they're real. Last year the MIT acceptances came out around the 10th - 12th of February, which also contradicts the "late February" message which was supposedly there last year.

MIT started sending out notices to American students yesterday. Can confirm that multiple students at my university received admits.

*American* students. Do they usually do two separate batches? If so I will remain hopeful from the Southern Hemisphere :) Not a big deal since he has been accepted elsewhere.

*American* students. Do they usually do two separate batches? If so I will remain hopeful from the Southern Hemisphere :) Not a big deal since he has been accepted elsewhere.

Same question here? I'm in Europe. Currently, my life is totally adjusted into US time zone. Struggling with waiting, and time is killing me. But, I know the possibility is extremely tiny.

An hour south you say?

La Grange maybe?

I'm from Columbus :)

Ah, an hour south on 75, I mean.

I've never been to Columbus, I think. After checking a map, I think that's because it's so far southwest of me that I just never passed through or anything. Did you go to Tech or somewhere else for undergrad?

Ah, an hour south on 75, I mean.

I've never been to Columbus, I think. After checking a map, I think that's because it's so far southwest of me that I just never passed through or anything. Did you go to Tech or somewhere else for undergrad?

75...psssht 85 and then 185 is where it is at. There is nearly no reason for you to ever have visited Columbus unless a: you joined the army b: you have a dark place in your heart for Southern Gothic literature or c: you are wild for very early Piedmont Blues. Luckily the last two are true for me so I can imagine my adolescence as not all bad! People here imagine me to be quite exotic.

I'm actually an archaeologist so no Tech for me...I'm following the CS forum for my boyfriend who is being shy...or too cool for school...I don't know. I did my undergrad in Boston then my Masters and the as yet undone PhD in the UK (Section 2.2.5 is on the docket).

Edited by grotesqueidols

Oh yeah, I had overlooked the fact that you were an archaeologist, haha.

Also what is the meaning of this:

http://eecscal.mit.edu/Pages/CalendarViews/MonthView.aspx?RoomId=3&Date=2%2f10%2f2010+12%3a00%3a00+AM

look at February 4th and 5th...

4th: "Graduate Admissions Final Decision 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM"

5th: "Admissions Committee 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM"

O_O

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if people know if MIT is a "flexible" school - I am not entirely sure what I want to focus on in the CS program - I stated on my application that I wished to focus on computational biology, but I am also interested in AI and algorithms. I saw that MIT assigns you an advisor right when you matriculate(unlike other schools like Cornell), so I am wondering if anyone knows of people who went to MIT, and changed their focus area in CS after entering there.

DJLamar: That'll either be about undergrad admissions or will be a meeting about either funding or supervisor assignment. My guess would be that is an undergrad meeting.

Oh! I thought you were wondering why the admission committee would meet after final decisions had been made.

I'd guess everything has been decided. Accepts have been assigned an adviser and that adviser has either contacted them or not.

I think grotesqueidols was referring to the fact that I listed both that event and the event for the "admissions committee" meeting the next day.