2010 MFA Painting/Drawing/Printmaking Admission Notifications

alizarin

I noticed you asked about CCA. I haven't heard from them either. I called and asked if they interview qualified applicants, and I asked if I am basically rejected if I wasn't offered an interview yet. They said, that is not the case. They only interview you if there is something questionable about your work or something. I don't know if this goes for all the departments, but I asked about painting.

oh, good! so that doesn't mean we're out for sure just yet. did they say anything about when we might find out and how (phone/e-mail/postal)? the results page on here has a lot of acceptances around march 11 or so. on the results page too, there there a lot acceptances and few rejections...so hopefully we are not out.

oh, good! so that doesn't mean we're out for sure just yet. did they say anything about when we might find out and how (phone/e-mail/postal)? the results page on here has a lot of acceptances around march 11 or so. on the results page too, there there a lot acceptances and few rejections...so hopefully we are not out.

They said around mid-March. Wow, I didn't know they already made some decisions though..Are those for painting or for other programs?

Found out my 3rd rejection today (UC Berkeley). I didn't get an official email yet but I checked their website and they said they already called their 7 people. I called to make sure and talked to this really nice guy from the art grad dept. He said out of the years he's worked there, he's never once seen someone straight out of undergrad get in the MFA program. I'm straight out of undergrad (last year) so I wonder if this plays a big role with the decisions I get. They typically want people with more "life experience." But anyway, I think their program is good but the location of their grad studios is in a very dangerous city, far away from the main campus.

Found out my 3rd rejection today (UC Berkeley). I didn't get an official email yet but I checked their website and they said they already called their 7 people. I called to make sure and talked to this really nice guy from the art grad dept. He said out of the years he's worked there, he's never once seen someone straight out of undergrad get in the MFA program. I'm straight out of undergrad (last year) so I wonder if this plays a big role with the decisions I get. They typically want people with more "life experience." But anyway, I think their program is good but the location of their grad studios is in a very dangerous city, far away from the main campus.

I'm really sorry to hear that alizarin. I wasn't sure how grad schools felt about that - I've been out of school for almost 5 years now and thought that might actually be a negative thing to the admissions' committees. It has been really great getting "life experience" after school... it's helped me grow so much as an artist! I wish you the best of luck though in getting into the other grad schools you've applied!

in other news, still no word on SAIC... maybe the rejection will come today in the mail. we shall see. anyone else hear anything from them this week??

I'm really sorry to hear that alizarin. I wasn't sure how grad schools felt about that - I've been out of school for almost 5 years now and thought that might actually be a negative thing to the admissions' committees. It has been really great getting "life experience" after school... it's helped me grow so much as an artist! I wish you the best of luck though in getting into the other grad schools you've applied!

in other news, still no word on SAIC... maybe the rejection will come today in the mail. we shall see. anyone else hear anything from them this week??

Thanks, Michelle. You shouldn't view your being out of school for almost 5 years a negative (I wish I had that "life experience" they want). But if things don't go my way this time, then I can use a year to "grow."

Anyway, I saw your website. I really like your figurative paintings on panels. Good luck w/ your SFAI interview. That's where I got my BFA. The instructors I worked with there are really great.

Has anyone heard back from SAIC's printmedia? Do you guys know if they do interviews?

Edited by alizarin

Thanks, Michelle. You shouldn't view your being out of school for almost 5 years a negative (I wish I had that "life experience" they want). But if things don't go my way this time, then I can use a year to "grow."

Anyway, I saw your website. I really like your figurative paintings on panels. Good luck w/ your SFAI interview. That's where I got my BFA. The instructors I worked with there are really great.

Has anyone heard back from SAIC's printmedia? Do you guys know if they do interviews?

Alizarin,

Aww thanks for the compliments about my artwork... do you have a website? I'd love to check out your work! Did you like SFAI? Do you think their MFA program is a decent one? I've been to SF twice and I love the city so much! I would be really excited to have the opportunity to move there for grad school. We shall see! Where else did you apply? I'm sure you will get accepted! One day at a time...

p.s. I just checked my mail again today and nothing from SAIC. So weird! It seems like everyone's already heard whether or not they got an interview/rejected by now. Anyone else not heard from SAIC's painting program yet??

I haven't heard from SAIC yet either. I thought it might've gotten lost in the mail... I guess it's good news I'm not the only one! I also haven't heard from UC Davis, and it seems that many people have already heard from them. My status hasn't been changed on the website so I don't know what to think. The waiting is so hard!

Looks like I am the only printmaker. I applied to the following places:

-Wisconsin: Rejected 2/10/10

-Michigan: Rejected 1/27/10

-Tennessee

-Mississippi

-Florida

-Florida State

-Miami

I too am applying straight out of undergrad from Indiana University. I have not received a BFA as well. However, my portfolio is strong and feel that I articulated my self well in explaining why graduate school is the proper decision for me now. I thought that my undergrad being Visual Arts Education has helped me to stay in "the art loop" as well as gather experiences many people don't experience as students. Teaching people of multiple intellects, ethnicity, religious beliefs, moral fibers, physical abilities has helped me broaden my understanding of the world around me and to in turn create meaningful art. I've also studied printmaking abroad in Venice, Italy and was privileged enough to experience the Biennale.

I'm assuming that I have two big strikes against me not being a BFA and applying straight out of undergrad. I'm curious of everyone's opinions. I visited all of the school's I applied to as well. I hear that his whole process is a whole lot of talent+luck=admission. Given my circumstance, do you think it is realistic that I will get into a MFA program? I want this bad

Thank you all for reading my post; it means a lot to me!

On 2/20/2010 at 10:58 PM, DjStella said:

Looks like I am the only printmaker. I applied to the following places:

-Wisconsin: Rejected 2/10/10

-Michigan: Rejected 1/27/10

-Tennessee

-Mississippi

-Florida

-Florida State

-Miami

I too am applying straight out of undergrad from Indiana University. I have not received a BFA as well. However, my portfolio is strong and feel that I articulated my self well in explaining why graduate school is the proper decision for me now. I thought that my undergrad being Visual Arts Education has helped me to stay in "the art loop" as well as gather experiences many people don't experience as students. Teaching people of multiple intellects, ethnicity, religious beliefs, moral fibers, physical abilities has helped me broaden my understanding of the world around me and to in turn create meaningful art. I've also studied printmaking abroad in Venice, Italy and was privileged enough to experience the Biennale.

I'm assuming that I have two big strikes against me not being a BFA and applying straight out of undergrad. I'm curious of everyone's opinions. I visited all of the school's I applied to as well. I hear that his whole process is a whole lot of talent+luck=admission. Given my circumstance, do you think it is realistic that I will get into a MFA program? I want this bad

Thank you all for reading my post; it means a lot to me!

@DjStella: I also have a degree in Art Education and no BFA. I think that schools, in terms of admissions, don't care who we taught art too. The art teaching part, in my guess, will be benificial only in trying to get a teaching fellowship, which I am trying to do. The most important thing is to have a strong portfolio. I'm also guessing that different schools are looking for different types of artists and so your portfolio might look good to some schools, and others won't care. I think it is good that you are applying to state schools, seems like some people on here applied to schools with less than 10 percent acceptance rates and then acted suprised that they didn't get an interview. They usually having teaching positions for grad students at state schools. The advantage to being straight out of undergrad is that you can walk up to your profs. and show them your portfolio and have them edit your application much easier than I can, being out of school for 4 years and living a few states away.

I haven't heard from SAIC yet either. I thought it might've gotten lost in the mail... I guess it's good news I'm not the only one! I also haven't heard from UC Davis, and it seems that many people have already heard from them. My status hasn't been changed on the website so I don't know what to think. The waiting is so hard!

It is so hard to wait through all of this... I wonder if we're in SAIC's "maybe but not sure yet" pile of portfolios. My hopes are still high! Only hearing back from one school at this point in the game is just completely nerve-racking. I'm sure it's a good thing that you haven't heard yet from UC Davis. Good luck to you for sure! Where else have you applied?

Waiting to hear from:

Stanford

Boston University

U of Hawaii at Manoa

UC Davis

SAIC

UCSB

Syracuse University

U of Illinois - Urbana Champaign

Ohio State University

RISD

University of Florida

Florida Atlantic University

Rejected:

U of Michigan at Ann Arbor

UT Austin

Waiting to hear from:

Stanford

Boston University

U of Hawaii at Manoa

UC Davis

SAIC

UCSB

Syracuse University

U of Illinois - Urbana Champaign

Ohio State University

RISD

University of Florida

Florida Atlantic University

Rejected:

U of Michigan at Ann Arbor

UT Austin

Wow! So many schools! I still haven't heard anything from SAIC; I thought for sure today but no. The wait continues... still no word from any school except SFAI. Interview next Tuesday... so scary!

How did you hear?

They emailed me this morning. At first, I thought it was a rejection email, I was ready to cry. I scanned through it waiting to read "we regret to inform you..." but it was for an interview. They said they're only selecting 10 incoming students....I don't know how many are being interviewed. Now I'm super nervous.

I guess if we havent got one yet it means we are out. Thanks for the word and congrads!!!! :)

Thanks :) I don't know if you're out yet, check your email and your junk mail. I'm not sure if they emailed everyone already, or called others...Sorry, I'm new to this application process so I'm not really sure how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ughh I hate waiting. Everyday I get up from bed, I check my email and wait for the mail and everyday, it's always nothing. No news and just a bunch of irrelevant emails. I'm starting to get cranky. Still no word from these remaining schools I applied to:

Columbia

UCLA

CCA

SAIC (Printmedia)

Should I even still wait or is it pretty hopeless already at this point?

Ughh I hate waiting. Everyday I get up from bed, I check my email and wait for the mail and everyday, it's always nothing. No news and just a bunch of irrelevant emails. I'm starting to get cranky. Still no word from these remaining schools I applied to:

Columbia

UCLA

CCA

SAIC (Printmedia)

Should I even still wait or is it pretty hopeless already at this point?

Wondering the same thing about Columbia, Hunter and VCU. Seems like some folks have been called in for interviews. VCU says they mailed out their notices last week. Still haven't received ANYTHING.