Museum Studies/Arts Administration

RedPotato

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you looking on the East Coast?

I applied to NYU, George Washington, UNC Greensboro, and U of Washington.

NYU and GW. I'm a northeast/mid-atlantic person. Which programs did you apply for at each one (each has about 4 choices!)? And have you heard anything back yet?

Did not see any specific programs but at points where i had to indicate interest I focused on Museum History and History musuems as well as education.

Have not heard anything back but I'm going to NYU next week to try to talk to people in the department, so I'll let you know how that goes.

What about you, what programs did you apply for?

The development side sounds pretty cool too. I'm a History guy so I can't help but want to see them as a social institution. Where are you from on the East Coast?

Can someone explain to me the appeal of a museum studies degree? What I understand is that it aims to be an equivalent to a Master of Library Science but instead of focusing on library systems, it is about a wide-range of museum responsibilities. The people who I know who received their museum studies masters has come to regret the decision and wished they had gone for a masters in art history instead. What kind of qualifications does it give you and what jobs do you pursue with it? The ones I know interested in museum studies, or have completed their masters in the field, are mostly interested in education (but then, that's the focus my department has with their museum studies program).

I'm just really curious because I really do not understand the purpose of it. Would anyone mind clarifying? [btw, I get arts administration.]

A lot of professors at the school that I have look into went on from the Masters in museum studies to a Ph.D. in History. For me at least it is a further specialization for a number of fields. If you are an art person I can understand the hesitation. But as a history student I feel as thought the field offers a new way to look a the development of social institutions. As far as education goes that is essentially modern museums' contribution. The research I have been working on for the past year focuses on educational development that developed in museums and has since become widely used in the public school system, for example illustrated lectures. I think part of the appeal of museums is the vast number of people that one exhibit can reach effectively.

I'm not sure if this response helped at all but thats motivation.

Edited by Hovarth

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me the appeal of a museum studies degree? What I understand is that it aims to be an equivalent to a Master of Library Science but instead of focusing on library systems, it is about a wide-range of museum responsibilities. The people who I know who received their museum studies masters has come to regret the decision and wished they had gone for a masters in art history instead. What kind of qualifications does it give you and what jobs do you pursue with it? The ones I know interested in museum studies, or have completed their masters in the field, are mostly interested in education (but then, that's the focus my department has with their museum studies program).

I'm just really curious because I really do not understand the purpose of it. Would anyone mind clarifying? [btw, I get arts administration.]

I'm pursuing a PhD in art history, not a museum studies degree, but my understanding of the purpose of these programs is that they prepare you for all of the non-curatorial positions in museums -- education in particular, but also things like development, visitor services, public programs, etc. As a discipline, museum studies is typically more along the lines of sociology/anthropology rather than art history, combined with the professional development aspects of arts admin. The specifics varies from program to program (some may have more art history emphasis than others) but generally museum studies focuses on issues of museum history, what the purpose of museums are, how they can best serve the public, their roles and responsibilities, ethical concerns, and so on. Also, it's important to point out that not all museums are art museums - there are also monuments, children's museums, science museums, history museums, etc. and these programs are likely to attract people from various disciplines. However, I can understand why someone who wants to be a curator might regret going for a degree in museum studies, as most curatorial positions go to those trained as art historians. This, however, is less the case in Europe where museum studies programs are often interchangeable with curatorial studies.

My understanding is that all of the Museum Studies programs are pretty diverse. So I think that both would have good Art History faculty. But I think Hopkins is an on-line program so thats the big difference I see. I would check out the faculty at both find one that has a similar interest and contact them.

And congrats on getting in!

Yes, Hopkins is online. I'm intrigued by the technology focus, but I think I'm pretty adept to computers, so thats going by the wayside.

Now, Its between NYU and GWU.... both which look great. I have no idea what to do, and am agonizing over this. I shouldn't be, I know, because having these options are great. Both are in big cities, both have courses I want. I just need to decide! I don't know if I want to live somewhere I know (nyc) or somewhere I am familiar with (dc), limit myself to an Art Hist. focus at NYU or be more diverse at GWU (though I have no science training or anything of the like, so what would I even be doing there anyhow?). Ugh.... Now I'm getting ramble-y.

Also, I haven't looked at the finances of either yet, I decided I wanted to know the programs and where my "heart" wanted to go before I got down to the nitty-gritty practicalities like money.

I'd love to know your thought process, please share.

I think there is good opportunity to diversify at NYU too. I've been bouncing between NYU and U of W. New York obviously has some of the best interships you could get but the price of U of W is right and I'm not a big fan of NYC. I'm not sure bhow i feel about DC but I think it would be nice to be near the Smithsonian. But between the two NYU definatly beat out GWU just because my impression is the NYU has a bit better of a name to attach to your degree.

You should talk with faculty members before you make a desicion.