Did I waste years on my education?

Reluctant

Question

I finished my masters in computer science with very bad grades. D-C average. I'm waiting results for my thesis and it might end up in the E or D range. My bachelor degree have similar grades.

How am I supposed to find a job with this?

This is a result of external motivation. Honestly, I wanted to become an electrician but was "forced" to chase the academic route and this is the result.

now I'm pretty fuked imo. I have no real job experience and just wasted 6 years in my life on an education I'll never use, most likely. I like programming but I'm not even close to how good I should be considering I have a master.

How can I salvage this now? should I pursue another degree if all else fail? I have considered nurse, but the thought of spending 3 more years is just killing me inside. 

I want blunt and real answers. Thank you.

3 answers to this question

It is possible. But I fear that I might not get a job and this becomes an endless loop. I've had some real trouble just getting my first grocery job back when doing my bachelors. If that is the trend I'm not gambling the rest of my 20s on even more education. I have nearly done anything fun these 6 years like traveling etc. pretty shitty life if u ask me.

Alright, so you're in a shitty place, and I'm sorry about that. And yes, there's always a risk that you'll get more training and still have a hard time finding a job. As a general rule, it'll suck more to work in something you don't like, and your grades seem to reflect that, too. One can only hope that if you study something you enjoy, that will reflect in your grades too, and that will make it easier for you to find a job later. I suppose it's hard to see what other options you have right now. Your grades are pretty low so it won't be easy to find a job as a programmer, though you could also try to do that. Connections might be key here, and if you made some during school that might help, given that your grades might cause a problem getting you past initial cutoffs. If not that, then you need to ask yourself what job you want to have. If you want to become an electrician, there's a certain training and certification you have to go through. If it's nursing, the same applies. There are risks in every choice, and that's unavoidable. One way to go is to try and figure out what jobs have demand that you find more appealing. Again, ignoring what other people want for you (you're an adult and you get to make your own choices!), when a person is happy s/he is usually also more successful.