George Washington for PhD?

Midwestern

I'm interested in what people have heard about GW as a Phd program for IR concentrations. From what I've read on past-years threads, it looks like it's a pretty contentious debate. I've heard the critique that too many of their students end up in the policy world for their rankings to improve, but at the same time they've got a pretty fantastic faculty spread (Finnemore, Sell, Glaser, Goldgeir, Lebovic, Hale, to name a few).

I know their funding is limited, but if it came down to a funded position at GW or a funded position at a school like Univ. of Wash or Wisconsin-Madison, what would you do? Do you think the rumors are true that GW is underrated and will move up the ladder quite a bit in the next decade or so?

Thanks for your help!!!

This isn't even a question. All things considered, Wisconsin is the clear choice out of all three schools listed.

Great. Thanks, all, for the feedback. Because I lean more towards the constructivist bent, I'm just trying to figure out how to factor in relative happiness w/the theoretical approaches of the departments while still considering their rankings. I'll never fit in with the Keohane kids-- (so no Martin for me), nor am I much of a sec. studies person (Kydd). There just aren't that many Finnemore and Sell variants out there who practice w/more of a constructivist bent, but I understand the concern w/overall GW ranking.

A WELL RESPECTED PROFESSOR IN AMERICAN POLITICS TOLD ME I SHOULD AVOID ALL PHD PROGRAMS IN WASHINGTON D.C., IF I WANT TO PERSUE A CAREER IN ACADEMIA. IT WAS PROBABLY OVERLY GENERALIZED ADVICE, BUT I TOOK IT NEVERTHELESS.

A WELL RESPECTED PROFESSOR IN AMERICAN POLITICS TOLD ME I SHOULD AVOID ALL PHD PROGRAMS IN WASHINGTON D.C., IF I WANT TO PERSUE A CAREER IN ACADEMIA. IT WAS PROBABLY OVERLY GENERALIZED ADVICE, BUT I TOOK IT NEVERTHELESS.

Generally, this seems to be true, but Georgetown is building a reputation as a solid political theory program, hiring Patrick Deneen in 2005 and Richard Boyd in 2007. While a career-minded PhD candidate might be turned off by Georgetown's placement history, I would not be surprised if Georgetown ranks among the "top 10" theory programs by the end of the decade.

One would think that Georgetown/GW/American would be stronger in American politics, given their location, and that Georgetown's excellent School of Foreign Service would lead to an equally strong graduate program in IR.

Generally, this seems to be true, but Georgetown is building a reputation as a solid political theory program, hiring Patrick Deneen in 2005 and Richard Boyd in 2007. While a career-minded PhD candidate might be turned off by Georgetown's placement history, I would not be surprised if Georgetown ranks among the "top 10" theory programs by the end of the decade.

One would think that Georgetown/GW/American would be stronger in American politics, given their location, and that Georgetown's excellent School of Foreign Service would lead to an equally strong graduate program in IR.

What is most peculiar about GW is the political psychology courses taught there. The curriculum in the majority of the classes does not seem to dovetail with the average political psychology coursework taught at other universities. I do not know one political theorist, so if you say GTOWN is on the up, I will take you at your word.

They have a reputation of being more "applied" than other programs, hence some of the more obvious factors don't quite translate to their reputation in academia.

Good points, all.

Since what I'm basically attracted to (besides DC, which would be a fantastic place to live) is the constructivism bent, I wondered if anyone had some insight here. It seems to me that having Finnemore (and many of her hires) at GW would make it a good place to go if you're interested in constructivist training. Any insight about this at GW? Programs you think would be better for constructivists?