Biggest Decision of My Life- Grad School in Europe?

Traveller27

Question

So... I have the biggest decision of my life to make and I am sorry to bore you all with this short little tiny story but I would like to lay out some background info. I've lived here in Canada my whole life and it simply is not for me anymore. I want to experience the world and see all that it has to offer. I just feel stuck in my life and I need to break free and live before I die. My original plan was to complete my masters and PhD in either Sociology or Psychology here in Canada, but lately I have been entertaining the possibility of completing my graduate school in Europe. Europe is such an amazing place and I would do anything to be able to spend a few years there studying what I love, and my girlfriend is also wanting to do the same. However, I really do not know how grad school works there. All I know is that it is different from Canada. I want this opportunity so badly, but I do not even know where to begin my search for schools and understanding how the process works in terms of going from Canada to Europe for grad school. Does anyone have any advice, or knowledge, pertaining to my dream of going off to Europe for grad school? Perhaps some of you live there?:) If anyone knows anything at all about the process, I would so greatly appreciate being able to message you or even receiving a comment on this post!! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this everyone!

9 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, ExponentialDecay said:

Let's start with the basics: Europe is not a country. Different countries have different education systems. What European country are you interested in?

Very good point, I apologize for not being more specific! I was thinking somewhere in the UK or perhaps Germany. Thank you for your response @ExponentialDecay.

In the UK I was thinking essentially anywhere... London, England, Manchester, Liverpool, etc.

Edited by Traveller27
Forgot something.

I can't speak for all European countries, but I am pretty familiar with the system in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. If a location of that sort is something you are interested in, ask ahead! Some schools I can think of on top of my head is Uppsala, Lund, and Copenhagen University. 

Some advice to begin with... It is going to be an expensive move and education, since you are not a European citizen (the tuition fees will be more for you than others). Perhaps not as much as the a school in the US, but definitely more than Canada. That doesn't mean it's not worth it :)

Also, make sure you get started on converting your grades because they have a different system called ECTS. You can either pay online or do it yourself.

Ah, whoops, just saw you are interested in UK and Germany. Then I know less about it, other than it is even more expensive in the UK. But good schools, of course. Good luck!

Most English PhDs, AFAIK, are quite different from the North American format.  They're only 3 years, pure research-- more or less-- and you don't get to/have to work as a TA for a stipend.    That changes the relationship you will have with your supervisor, for better or worse.  One down side, of course, is that there aren't a lot of stipends even at Oxbridge-- where endowments are more likely to fund international students than elsewhere.  Getting a scholarship as an overseas student is really hard, whereas it's usually part of the deal over here.

Since the PhD doesn't include any coursework, programs generally insist on a master's beforehand, which adds a year.  That might be a decent way to test the waters.  It won't hurt your chances back in Canada even if you decide not to go on in the UK, and it will give a nice slice of memories either way.

Edited by Concordia

44 minutes ago, Traveller27 said:

In the UK I was thinking essentially anywhere... London, England, Manchester, Liverpool, etc.

London, Manchester, and Liverpool are cities in England. England is not a city. 

May I suggest that you just take some time off to travel in Europe? Studying an entire degree in a country you know absolutely nothing about isn't exactly the best idea anyone's ever had. Moreover, living and traveling in a place are two very different things. It sounds like you might benefit more from doing some traveling and soul-searching (or, in other words, growing up), and not necessarily from committing to a multi-year intense advanced academic program, where I would be willing to bet that you don't know what your end goal is or what career you'd want to pursue. I say this because degrees from the UK or Germany will give you different career opportunities than a Canadian degree, and to know which one is right for you you need to know something about your research interests and long-term career goals. Traveling and exploring could be a good way to figure that out.

I would also suggest for you to apply for international fellowship awards too which may help you complete your degree abroad (or a portion of it). In the United States we have grants like Fulbright that allow us to travel. I know there are UK Fulbright awards for US students to complete master degrees. I would look into Canadian opportunities similar to Fulbright. 

The best website to research German graduate programs is DAAD.de. Most of the programs start in October for winter semester with the application deadlines in May. I just finished applying to a few Masters programs and it really wasn't difficult. Just make sure you read the instructions carefully, because there are different procedures for international students, mainly submitting additional hardcopy docs and certified transcripts/diploma. 

I was initially considering the U.K as well, but it would be way too expensive with both non-EU tuition & visa costs. The application process seemed pretty similair though. 

I agree with @fuzzylogician. You don't seem to actually want a degree - you just want to live in Europe. If so, that's something you can easily do. Travel there, or do a summer school, or do some language-learning course, depending on what you're interested in. As someone with 2 degrees from countries other than my country of citizenship, getting a degree in a foreign country is 99% not fun. You shouldn't do it for shits and giggles.