Msc @ Manchester or Nottingham???

douglasdl

Hey, guys, it's my first time starting a topic here. I am an international undergraduate. My gilrfriend now gets two Msc admissions from UK, which are U of Mancherster and U of Nottingham respectively. I know inquiring about this here is not very proper, but I only want to know what you guys' impressions about these two Universities are. She majors in engineering management, a one-year program. Also she wants to move to USA as an F2 later, which university can bring better reputation to employers? And is it optimistic to find a job in engineering management in USA?

Thanks for your help!!! :)

Manchester and Nottingham are both decent unis, though Nottingham overall has a slightly better reputation. Nottingham is a lovely campus university, but Manchester the more interesting city. I haven't got a clue about engineering management. Nottingham's business school has an excellent reputation (certainly better than Manchester), no idea about the engineering side or job prospects.

Check thestudentroom.co.uk.

sD.

Edited by someDay

I attended the University of Nottingham for a semester, and have been to Manchester (but admittedly haven't spent a lot of time there, so perhaps I'm biased), but I definitely prefer Nottingham as a city. The campus is gorgeous, and the school does have a good reputation. I'm not sure if anyone in the US would really know the difference between the two unless they were fairly familiar with UK unis. But I enjoyed Nottingham myself, it's a good mix of a beautiful, large campus, but adjacent to a busy city with plenty of things to do.

I am somewhat familiar with the visa process since my husband (who is from the UK) was looking for jobs here. I don't know anything about engineering management, but she would need to have specialized skills to have the employer be willing to sponsor an H-1B visa for her. On an F-2 visa (which I assume is because you will be an international student studying in the US with an F-1 visa), she wouldn't be able to work, and from my experience it is very, very difficult to get that H-1B visa. I don't think whether she attends Nottingham or Manchester will have any bearing on that; it's going to depend on having a unique skill set and an urgent need from an employer. They basically need to have a shortage of qualified Americans for the position before they will sponsor a foreigner. For now, my advice would be for your girlfriend (or future wife, if she'll be able to get an F-1 visa?) to go to whichever school/program she likes best and thinks she'll be happiest at.

The Manchester Business School is definitely one of the best in the UK and the Engineering dept is one of the top programmes too. The Manchester campus is very city-based, but all the department buildings are lined along one road. Manchester as a city is much more fun than Nottingham - more culture, more things going on. Manchester is definitely rising in the league tables, and recently is on a par with Nottingham and all the other Russell Group universities (the UK ivy leagues). However many still think that Nottingham has a better rep because it has traditionally been a better uni, but Manchester is definitely up and coming and catching up.

Manchester and Nottingham are both decent unis, though Nottingham overall has a slightly better reputation. Nottingham is a lovely campus university, but Manchester the more interesting city. I haven't got a clue about engineering management. Nottingham's business school has an excellent reputation (certainly better than Manchester), no idea about the engineering side or job prospects.

Check thestudentroom.co.uk.

sD.

Thanks! I will check thestudentroom .co.uk!

:)

I attended the University of Nottingham for a semester, and have been to Manchester (but admittedly haven't spent a lot of time there, so perhaps I'm biased), but I definitely prefer Nottingham as a city. The campus is gorgeous, and the school does have a good reputation. I'm not sure if anyone in the US would really know the difference between the two unless they were fairly familiar with UK unis. But I enjoyed Nottingham myself, it's a good mix of a beautiful, large campus, but adjacent to a busy city with plenty of things to do.

I am somewhat familiar with the visa process since my husband (who is from the UK) was looking for jobs here. I don't know anything about engineering management, but she would need to have specialized skills to have the employer be willing to sponsor an H-1B visa for her. On an F-2 visa (which I assume is because you will be an international student studying in the US with an F-1 visa), she wouldn't be able to work, and from my experience it is very, very difficult to get that H-1B visa. I don't think whether she attends Nottingham or Manchester will have any bearing on that; it's going to depend on having a unique skill set and an urgent need from an employer. They basically need to have a shortage of qualified Americans for the position before they will sponsor a foreigner. For now, my advice would be for your girlfriend (or future wife, if she'll be able to get an F-1 visa?) to go to whichever school/program she likes best and thinks she'll be happiest at.

Thanks a lot for your detailed information! If on an F-2 visa is so difficult to get an H-1B visa, we may think about other ways to get both jobs in US. Maybe it is rather a long way to go, but we really would like to strive together. :)

The Manchester Business School is definitely one of the best in the UK and the Engineering dept is one of the top programmes too. The Manchester campus is very city-based, but all the department buildings are lined along one road. Manchester as a city is much more fun than Nottingham - more culture, more things going on. Manchester is definitely rising in the league tables, and recently is on a par with Nottingham and all the other Russell Group universities (the UK ivy leagues). However many still think that Nottingham has a better rep because it has traditionally been a better uni, but Manchester is definitely up and coming and catching up.

It looks like that Manchester univer and Nottingham univer have their own charactors. Manchester is a good city and Nottingham U is a good campus. We will think about it seriously. Thanks for your information! :)