English Literature PhD 2008

Are there people STILL waiting to hear from the University of Chicago? I'm starting to think that they've forgotten to send me a letter or something. If anyone is still waiting, please tell me. If I don't get something by Monday, then I'm calling again (they told me to). Maybe my application got lost or something, and wasn't even read...Is that possible? Maybe this is a good sign and means I'm still being considered? Who knows... :shock:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there people STILL waiting to hear from the University of Chicago? I'm starting to think that they've forgotten to send me a letter or something. If anyone is still waiting, please tell me. If I don't get something by Monday, then I'm calling again (they told me to). Maybe my application got lost or something, and wasn't even read...Is that possible? Maybe this is a good sign and means I'm still being considered? Who knows... :shock:

Still waiting...! I wonder why it's taking so long :|

There's an end to the MA thesis? That's what I forgot to do!

I was under the impression that I just kept on writing until, one cold evening in the winter of my life, I saw a black cloaked figure lurking at my doorstep. At that time, I could save my work (***REM: flash drive #1, flash drive #2, email to self, email to girlfriend, email to parents***), take the last sip of the bottle of port I had been saving for a special occasion, then follow the dark figure wherever he took me, never having to worry about footnotes and literature reviews again.

But you say these things can end before the dark man comes, eh? This is something I shall have to investigate.

I also haven't heard from Chicago yet. When did everyone else submit their applications for Chicago? I submitted pretty late, like a week before the deadline. I don't know if that could be a factor. If not for acceptances, maybe it takes them longer to waitlist or reject you if you submit late?

Just heard from the University of Chicago today. They accepted me into their MAPH (Masters of Arts Program in the Humanities). Honestly, it makes me feel a lot better, but I certainly won't be going.

First off, how do they think you are going to manage without any funding? Secondly, people applying to English programs are over the general humanities education--we've specialized in English, and that is why we are applying to the English Ph.D. program. Why don't they accept you into an ENGLISH masters program?

Oh well. I genuinely thank you Chicago, it was a nice thought.

aaarrrgghh!! The silence! The silence!

Where are you UCSB? Where are you Harvard? Where are you UCIrvine? Where are you UArizona?

Am I the only one to not hear from these schools? Has my mail been stolen each day the notices arrived? What is going on out there?

Thanks. I needed to break the silence even if it is just to hear my own voice.

Back to the silence I go.

lol

I feel the pain. I haven't heard anything in a month, and over half of my programs have yet to report back. I contacted one, and the DGS intimated I am on the unofficial waitlist, so I am hoping that's what all of this silence means.

They really love to cultivate the suspense, don't they?

Chicago was by snail mail. Deceptive looking large envelope, luckily I was expecting the MAPH and not an acceptance, thanks to gradcafe :)

I just wish NYU would go ahead and just reject me already so I don't have to think about them anymore. Good luck to all in the last week or so of waiting.

I emailed NYU and got the standard response: they don't advise students on decisions via email, fax or phone :lol: and letters have been sent out earlier this week, those in the US should receive next week? This is for comparative literature though, not sure if timeline's the same for English.

Hang it there, commoner, score one and it's worth the wait :D

• 3 weeks later...

So...does NYU actually notify EVERY applicant? Do they select groups that they want to notify, and then throw some other piles out the window in the hope that some of the rejections might be carried by the wind in the direction of NYU applicants? I am already accepting elsewhere, but it would be nice for a note saying "SORRY! you have not been accepted to our program. Goodbye forever." Full stop. Now was that so hard?