History Admissions 2008

Minnesotan

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody get into Brown yet? I'm guessing Tulane, Vandy, and Florida are a long way off but the lack of any real feedback on the wall regarding those three gives me the sinking, remorseful feeling that I chose a few TTT's as the Auto Admit folks would say.

Ok, my friend just got off the phone with UT - Austin. They said that they will be making a few notifications this weekend, and that all applicants will know by the second week in March.

So I guess if you don't hear anything this weekend, you weren't accepted?

What do ya'll think?

Ok, my friend just got off the phone with UT - Austin. They said that they will be making a few notifications this weekend, and that all applicants will know by the second week in March.

So I guess if you don't hear anything this weekend, you weren't accepted?

What do ya'll think?

Wow, these silent notification deadlines just ratchet up the tension that much more. Will UT update the Direct board this week as well or are we going to receive confirmation first from the department?

Yeah -- my guess is that this round is the end, and if we don't hear anything this weekend, its a bust.

I still think its very strange that out of all the people that applied to UT here, only one has already been accepted. Congrats to you, AMC! It makes me wonder if maybe the prof jumped the gun and was really excited. Does anyone know of anyone being accepted besides AMC?

I'm really curious what the breakdown was in terms of numbers.

It's amazing how many programs have had only one (legitimate) acceptance posted for weeks. UT, Indiana, Brown, and Yale had the same things going on in History, and there are a couple of English programs I'm watching who are pulling the same crap -- Washington-Seattle being the most frustrating, as there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason to the order in which they are reviewing applications. If you get reviewed first, you may get funding; if you get reviewed last, you could be the best of all the candidates, but they have no room nor money for you. Pfft!

I guess one can only hope that this strangeness works to one's advantage.

Ack! Who is the Princeton admit?!? I had just about convinced myself that husband would be accepted there...allowing me to go to UPenn (if they'll have me).

I know! I just saw it and was |----this----| close to whipping out my cell phone and calling them before I caught myself.

Minnesotan:

Yale didn't accept any PhD track students w/o funding did they? I mean, they have more money than a number of small countries!

I didn't notice, and I doubt it. I was referring to the Washington situation. They just pass out their money higgledy-piggledy.

Yeah -- my guess is that this round is the end, and if we don't hear anything this weekend, its a bust.

I still think its very strange that out of all the people that applied to UT here, only one has already been accepted. Congrats to you, AMC! It makes me wonder if maybe the prof jumped the gun and was really excited. Does anyone know of anyone being accepted besides AMC?

I'm really curious what the breakdown was in terms of numbers.

Thanks Aluinnsearlait~

I don't know that UT Austin admits were number wise, but I can tell you that when they sent the e-mail it was late in the day on a Friday, so look for it then.

Also, the admitted student's weekend visit will be Mar 6th. Don't want to ruin anyone's evening, but I thought you'd like to know.

Also, the admitted student's weekend visit will be Mar 6th. Don't want to ruin anyone's evening, but I thought you'd like to know.

ha, I think that gives most of us who haven't heard a pretty definitive answer...though I guess anything is possible. this is good to know!

Hi all,

Just thought I would give a heads up, I was notified via phone by my potential adviser that I was accepted to Columbia on 2-14. He knew that I would be receiving full funding (which, I believe Columbia is trying to standardize, so that may not be valuable info ;). However, I have not received any further info through the mail. Visiting day is 3/31. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi all,

Just thought I would give a heads up, I was notified via phone by my potential adviser that I was accepted to Columbia on 2-14. He knew that I would be receiving full funding (which, I believe Columbia is trying to standardize, so that may not be valuable info ;). However, I have not received any further info through the mail. Visiting day is 3/31. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Congratulations!!! How exciting!

I second the calls for more details on the Columbia admit (plus request that the poster put it up over on the results board so that the rest of the world can share the burden on our anxiety).

More generally, does this mean that now silence is more or less indicative of rejection at Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, NYU and UMich? Crap, that means that most of our eggs are now in the UPenn basket if I have any hope of going to school on the same coast as him...

I wish that they would just call and put us out of our misery.

Hi,

I would prefer not to post the name of the professor who called, but as I said, it was a call from my potential adviser. My field is 19th c. US.

In terms of what this means for others, I would not necessarily be too nervous. It seems (based on some of what posters have revealed) that admission can come much later, even as most are getting rejected. At least, that's the way it seems to have gone for at least one person who got into Yale (and congratulations to you). Partial rolling one might call it?

For my own part, I still hold hope for a school or two on that list, and I believe myself to be a competitive candidate, so I really hope not all the decisions have been made.

I will post on the admission board.

I heard from Harvard first from an advisor last week, but got the notification from the history department in the mail this past Saturday. I think someone posted the other day that decisions were being mailed over the next couple of weeks. I don't know if all acceptances have gone out or not. But some history of science people have gotten rejections, I think - I don't know how connected that is. I hope for the sake of people on this board that there are still more acceptances going out.

I think that 85% of this board will explode if there aren

Oh. My. God. UPenn is freaking incompetent. About 2 weeks ago they emailed husband asking him to have his recommender resend a "missing" LOR to their Soviet prof, who confirmed that he received it and added it to the file. Now this morning, he received ANOTHER email from their program administrator saying that the LOR was still missing, and that they needed it for the committee to review ASAP. When he called to explain that the UPenn prof already has it, she made it clear that it was his problem to deal with. Totally incompetent, rude and unhelpful. And so now he's off chasing down the profs again.

Blech. And yet I'm still desperately hoping that they accept him...

Yeah, it's worse when the secretaries are oh so rude to you, even though it's not your fault there's been a mistake. I understand that they have a lot of things on their plates, but this is an important undertaking for all of us applicants. Good luck to your husband, and I hope that all the running around will be for some good news! :D

Like the woman at UVA who swore my GRE scores never arrived even though I had them sent in August and had the electronic file number from ETS? 'Cause I really needed to pay ETS to send my scores AGAIN even though they were clearly there! argh.