So I screwed up...

Jack Horner

To make a long story short, I was out of town for the last week with very spotty internet access the entire time. Knowing that my application was due on Monday, February 15th (but forgetting that it was President's Day), I assumed that I would work on completing my application on Saturday, and send it overnight via Fedex to arrive there on (or before) Monday.

Fast-forward to today. I've finished my application, and realize that the processing center address is a P.O Box. Since it's a P.O. Box, the USPS is my only option. Additionally, Monday is President's Day. Obviously, the USPS doesn't deliver on President's Day (or Sunday). Totally bonehead move on my part, but the bulk of my application materials (2 LORs, SoP, writing sample, C.V.) won't arrive at the processing center until Tuesday, February 16th.

I realize that this probably depends on the school and the program, but I'm wondering if application deadlines are typically hard deadlines, or is there a bit of flexibility when it comes to due dates? If it makes any difference, my application materials are postmarked 2/13.

Like I said, this was entirely my fault due to a lack of planning; however, this school is my #2 choice and I feel like I have (had?) a pretty strong chance of being accepted.

:unsure:

I don't think just one day late is going to get your application thrown out, especially if its postmarked and everything.

If you want to play it safer, email them now saying that the materials could be a day or two late. I actually put my transcripts to the University of Texas in the mail 4 days after the application was due, but sent an email and they replied that it wouldn't matter if it were a little late. Besides, the graduate school is so inundated with applications it would take a couple days to process if it were on time anyway.

I realize that this probably depends on the school and the program, but I'm wondering if application deadlines are typically hard deadlines, or is there a bit of flexibility when it comes to due dates? If it makes any difference, my application materials are postmarked 2/13.

Surprise surprise, it depends. If you at least tell us what school this is maybe someone will know, but an answer to a question as general as this can only be that it depends. Some schools are very strict, some aren't. Some use the postmark date, some use the arrival date.

You have nothing to lose at this point. Send the package as soon as you can, and hope for the best.

Chances are it will be OK, for the reasons origin415 wrote.

Edited by fuzzylogician

It's the M.T.S. program at Boston College, in case anyone knows about their policy when it comes to late applications. I already sent the package, and I figure I'll shoot them an e-mail later today explaining that the majority of materials will arrive on 1 day late.

Is there no express post address given? I had the option for a PO Box a few times, but just searched the websites for a physical address, since I applied from overseas and didn't want to risk anything and be able to track my package. Usually there is an address for express mail somewhere. They must receive mail that needs to be signed for more often.

Supporting materials must be mailed to the following address:

Boston College Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

Admissions Processing Center

PO Box 229

Randolph, MA 02368-9998

For those applicants who are sending materials via FedEx, UPS, DHL, or any carrier who will not ship to a PO Box, please use the following address:

Boston College

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

McGuinn 221

140 Commonwealth Avenue

Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

?????

In any case, good chance they empty the PO box the day after the application deadline and your package will probably be delivered that day in the morning, hopefully before they empty the PO Box.

Edited by pietjekanarie

Supporting materials must be mailed to the following address:

Boston College Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

Admissions Processing Center

PO Box 229

Randolph, MA 02368-9998

For those applicants who are sending materials via FedEx, UPS, DHL, or any carrier who will not ship to a PO Box, please use the following address:

Boston College

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

McGuinn 221

140 Commonwealth Avenue

Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

?????

In any case, good chance they empty the PO box the day after the application deadline and your package will probably be delivered that day in the morning, hopefully before they empty the PO Box.

That's for the GSAS, the School of Theology and Ministry is a different address.

I sympathize with your situation. I applied to one school this round, which had a application deadline of January 1st, in order to be considered for funding. I fedex-ed it to the Department address on the 22nd of December. i was near panicked when I found out that the department office was "closed" from before I sent it, to the 4th of January. Granted, it was the holiday season, but you'd think that they would make the priority deadline occur during a time when there was someone there to receive the materials.

At any rate, it WAS received before the deadline, according to the website...

I'm certain that it will be fine. If you take a look at Boston college School of theology and ministry "admissions process" page, they say that if you have additional materials and are concerned you won't meet the Feb 15th deadline, to please let them know. This sounds more hopeful, than schools like UChicago who state applications materials must be 'received" by the deadline. (emphasized the received) ( I applied there last year...)

Edited by Emma2003

All may not be lost. I know for the school I applied to it just had to be postmarked before the due date... so it is possible that as long as the stamp says it was sent a day or two in advance you may not be docked for it being late. That may not apply here but might bring you a little hope?