No undergrad research experience at all?

upigdir

Question

I recently finished my 3rd year in physics and as you can guess, I am freaking out atm because reality of the situation is hitting me hard.

I study in a very bad school with no recognition or what so ever.

My grades aren't bad, my gpa in general is 3.7ish and gpa in major is around 3.9. I am planing to study theoretical HEP or theoretical condensed matter. But I don't have ANY research experience as my school doesn't offer any. I can't find some other chances like summer schools, internships in europe etc. because I live in a shitty country and i need visa to get out.

next year, I will start my senior thesis but I don't think it will be enough. besides, all my professors are kinda.. mediocre? so I will not have any strong letter of recommendation letters anyway. I am preparing for GRE and PGRE like a lunatic to score high. 

being an international student, my chances are very low for any grad school in USA. so should i apply for msc, gain some experience and get strong recommendations first? even though it is still kinda hard for me to find funding in EU or elsewhere but still, it seems more probable to me. any suggestions?

Edited by upigdir

4 answers to this question

Sounds like a frustrating situation! I do think you can still apply to US institutions. If you have good credentials, some schools offer Master's position if you apply for PhD and don't make the cut. 

At undergrad level, your senior thesis could be sufficient enough because some people won't even have that before they graduate. If it is possible at all, try to see if you can gain experience from other natural/social science related laboratories that would allow you to gain some quantitative skills. Even if it is not related to physics, you can demonstrate that you know how the actual research process looks like.