Architectural History: MA or PhD?

archist

Hi everyone!

I'm deciding where to apply for Fall of 2018, and I'm torn between getting a Master in Architectural History/Historic Preservation or a PhD in History of Art and Architecture (or both). This is tied to some indecision about my career path. I'm very tempted to enter academia as an art historian, but I think I would also really enjoy a career in historic preservation. If I did the former, I would choose a PhD, but only getting a master's makes more sense for preservation work. In an ideal world, I'd get a PhD, get a job as an art history professor, and then volunteer for preservation causes in my spare time. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to find a job as a professor, and a PhD wouldn't give me enough of a pay/hiring advantage over a master's in preservation to justify losing 5+ years of work experience (and paychecks) just to end up doing preservation with a PhD.

I am also curious about the funding differences between the two types of degree programs. Most school's websites are pretty vague about how much funding they give (especially for master's students). Additionally, most preservation-centered programs are at state schools, and I am curious about how this affects the aid given to out-of-state students. My state does have a public school with a preservation program, but I'd like to go elsewhere if it's financially feasible.

Finally, I'd appreciate any input about what schools best fit my interests. If I did get a PhD, I would research American architecture and probably focus on the 18th and 19th centuries. I would like to be in the southeast, if possible, since I'd like to work in the region and my research would most likely center on its culture as well. I would also like to be in the southeast if I pursue historic preservation, since I have heard that it is a very regionally focused field in terms of alumni networks of schools. For both degrees, I am a bit worried that the most "prestigious" programs  aren't in the southeast, and I don't know if I would do better to go somewhere with a better reputation that doesn't align as well with my interests. In case my background makes a difference, I'm currently at a "top twenty" school for undergrad with a double major in Art History and History, should graduate with honors, have research experience, have had a couple of preservation internships during the summer, and should have good rec letters and GRE scores (planning on taking it later this summer).

Thanks in advance for your help! Would love to hear from other 2018 applicants too.

We sound so very much alike in our interests! I think you need to identify a couple of things.  I went through very much of the same thought process in trying to determine my best path after graduating as well.  There are some very well-informed members on this forum that will hopefully add to what I have found out, but here is what I learned after researching, talking to and emailing many professionals in the fields you identified. 

Getting a PhD in Art and Architectural History with the outcome being a art historian professor with a TT position is really tough.  Many of the PhD's (and these are people who have graduated from some of the top programs in the US) are facing working as adjuncts- usually teaching multiple classes at neighboring colleges and universities.  They are working to make ends meet, but do not receive health insurance.  As far as an MA in Architectural History in the south and southeast, Texas and UVA have very good programs.

In terms of the HP programs, they are varied in they type of curriculum they focus on.  The NCPE has a great website that offers a breakdown of the schools offering a MA in HP (and related programs) as well as their strengths.  I don't know if you have seen it or not, but here is the link.  It will be really important for you to kind of determine what type of career you see yourself in with regards to Historic Preservation.  It is a very broad discipline and picking the right program will help you be content with what you are learning as well as help you get to where you want to be in a career.  

http://www.ncpe.us/#.VHfCL0vZVg0

In light of your wanting to stay in the SE I would say look at UGA, and UFL.  Clemson also has a HP Master's, but if you look through this link from 4 years ago, there are some negative comments about it. 

Regarding funding... there is not a lot of hope for major funding for master's degrees and this goes for Architectural History and HP.  If you are a very competitive applicant, you may be offered some funding for an HP Master's, but often times it will be for your second year of studies.  There may be some tuition remittance, but for the programs I looked into even getting 50% off was formidable with the OOS cost of attendance and living costs. UGA is a part of the Academic Common Market for states in the southeast, which means that you can attend their program as an in-state student if you are a resident of one of the participating states.  Here is the link to that site:

http://www.schev.edu/index/tuition-aid/academic-common-market

I suggest you go to the Results tab on thegradcafe's homepage.  In the search box type the terms "Historic Preservation" and "Art and Architectural History" or "Architectural History".  You will see over the last few years the breakdown of people who were accepted to where and how much FA award they received. It is a great tool.  Anyway, I hope this helps some!  Good luck with your search and don't get discouraged.  Knowledge is power and you are wise to be thinking about this before you apply! 

Wow, thank you so much!! I was doubtful that anybody would be able to help, but this is exactly what I was looking for.

As far as a HP career goes, I think I'd like to work for a state historic preservation office, do preservation planning on a state or city level, or work as a private consultant (helping agencies with NHPA/Section 106 compliance, preparing cultural resource management plans, etc.). I am a bit worried I'd get frustrated with the bureaucracy of government-based work, but right now I think it'd be a better fit for me than conservation or museum curation would be. Overall, I'd prefer researching and teaching but I just don't know that it's feasible.

I think I'll probably just have to wait and see about funding. I'll probably apply to both master's and PhD programs, then see what makes the most sense financially after I receive offers. It's just so frustrating to wait though... Right now I think I'll apply to UVA, UGA, Maryland, and UT Austin for master's, and UVA, UNC, Emory, and UPenn for PhD. I am also considering master's at SCAD, MTSU, Tulane, UK, and Clemson, but their websites and discussions on this forum have made me hesitant.

What did you end up doing for this year, if you don't mind my asking? @love2read