Rejection(?) MCGILL

McMcMc

Hi guys,

I've read many posts on the website but none responded directly to my interrogations. Actually, I found only few posts talking about rejections.

Here's my case: I have an undergrad in nutrition and dietetics from a french university in Quebec and I want to get into an MPH or masters in epi preferrably with a Global health concentration. I got rejected from McGill this year (I only applied to the Epi program) and still wondering what went wrong. I tried to ask the admission office but they didn't really helped me, they basically told me that it depends of many factors and other applicants so they can't point out one thing specifically...

My GPA is not bad (3,64/4,3).. I currently work in public health as a dietitian (here in Quebec you just need your undergrad degree to become a RD)

I'm also considering applying to UofT and other schools because I'm afraid to be rejected again this year. I'm from Montreal and McGill is the only university here that really interests me. 

I'm actually pretty lost right now. Did it happen to one of you, especially if you applied to mcgill? Do you know if they're looking for a particular type of applicants? Should I take some courses related to the field such as statistics? I also thought of contacting professors right now to see if they'd be interested in supervising me so that could help my application.

Or should I just apply to many schools?

If you also want to share your stories, that would be great.

Thank you in advance

If you just applied to one school this year, it means that you did not get rejected because your application was not good. You got rejected because other people (this year) were better fit for the program. I would also ask other people to look at your personal statement. 

McGill (especially epi) puts huge emphasis on quantitative skills because they do not have health promotion stream like other public health institutions do. If you are just focused on McGill, I would encourage you to gain some quantitative research experience before you apply again. UT has a MPH program specifically for people with nutrition background so that might be a good program for you. Queen's have global health emphasis so that would be a good one for you as well. 

Overall, MPH programs are getting very competitive so I would encourage you to search for more schools/programs.