Astronomy PhD Applications for Spring 2018 in US

abhi_iisc

What are some good universities in US and Canada which accept spring PhD applications?

I want to apply for PhD in astronomy and astrophysics for Spring 2018. I am an Indian guy. please suggest some universities with strong astronomy group.

To be honest, I do not think there are any reputable Astronomy PhD programs in Canada nor the US that have a Spring admission season. That said, there are many programs that will consider you for Fall admission but due to whatever reason (e.g. visa delay, personal conflict, etc.) they would let you defer to the Spring semester. 

But programs don't have a whole application process for Spring decisions because:

1. Astro programs in Canada/US are small. Most schools admit only 5-10 students, many other schools admit even fewer. So there is no reason to split up the small class even further.

2. Because programs are small, classes are not offered every semester. Many required/core classes in astro programs are only offered in one semester every 2 years, for programs that expect students to take 2 years to complete coursework. The classes are scheduled in sequence so that you should take them in order, so starting in the Spring generally mean that you might be behind and/or missing some classes.

I am not sure why you are particularly interested in Spring admissions. I would recommend applying to Fall 2018 and if you need to arrive to the US/Canada in springtime, then after you get the offer, see if you can defer it to Spring 2019. On the other hand, if you are saying Spring 2018 because Fall 2017 season is already over, then I would suggest waiting until Fall 2018. You'll have a lot more options available!