Language question

I am applying to PhD programs this fall with primary interests in comparative Russian/European politics. While I am fairly proficient in German, I know zero Russian. If I study a little Russian on my own time between now and when I submit my applications, would it be appropriate to say that I have begun to teach myself Russian? Or, would it be better to not note that at all, as the learning wouldn't take place in a formal context?

You can do that, but keep in mind that "begun to teach myself Russian" will come across as admirable but vague. It would be better if you could say, "I've completed this or that textbook or online course independently" or something like that. Are there courses on Coursera you could take or respected 101 textbooks you could work on?

4 hours ago, rheya19 said:

You can do that, but keep in mind that "begun to teach myself Russian" will come across as admirable but vague. It would be better if you could say, "I've completed this or that textbook or online course independently" or something like that. Are there courses on Coursera you could take or respected 101 textbooks you could work on?

A respected textbook. 

I think there are really only two proper places to put languages on your application: 1) usually the online form will ask you about languages or 2) your CV. The only real exception to this could be if you knew a very rare language and it was logically tied to your research interests, then maybe in your SOP. I wouldn't personally put it anywhere if I was in your shoes. BUT you may be inclined to put 'beginner' for Russian on the form and/or CV but you have to decide if that's ethical or not because it will be unlikely to be at that level by the time you apply.

I personally put a third language as 'beginner' but I can have a basic conversation and read it well so it was not mischaracterizing it.