MDiv + GRE?

stillad

Hi all. Fairly new here and have a question for those who've been through the application process before...

At the schools where it's optional (Duke, Yale, Candler) did you submit GRE scores with your MDiv application? If you did, do you think it helped you (and in what way? acceptance, scholarship, etc)? If not, do you think it made a difference at all?

I'm likley going to be applying next year and I'm somewhat concerned about this. I had a decent GPA (overall 3.3; major - 3.6) but majored in engineering, so I'm not sure if my lack of liberal arts background will hurt me or not. I have made a concerted effort to educate myself (godbless Amazon and their cheap books!) but it's not like that can go on resume. Hence, the queries about taking the GRE...

Additionally, if you're in one of these schools, what is your take on their feelings about MDiv's with non-traditional service goals (i.e. NOT going for ordination)?

Help! (and thanks in advance for the comments...)

like redreverend said, it will definitely help you if you get a good score. I'm not really an expert, but I think I would disagree with your assessment that telling them you've read piles of books from amazon on religion won't help you. I would say pretty much like you have that you majored in engineering but have been devouring theology or biblical studies books in your free time and mention the authors and topics that interest you most to prove that you are competent in those subject areas. Most MDiv degrees intentionally cater to people without a strong background in theology anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Edited by 11Q13

Hi all. Fairly new here and have a question for those who've been through the application process before...

At the schools where it's optional (Duke, Yale, Candler) did you submit GRE scores with your MDiv application? If you did, do you think it helped you (and in what way? acceptance, scholarship, etc)? If not, do you think it made a difference at all?

I'm likley going to be applying next year and I'm somewhat concerned about this. I had a decent GPA (overall 3.3; major - 3.6) but majored in engineering, so I'm not sure if my lack of liberal arts background will hurt me or not. I have made a concerted effort to educate myself (godbless Amazon and their cheap books!) but it's not like that can go on resume. Hence, the queries about taking the GRE...

Additionally, if you're in one of these schools, what is your take on their feelings about MDiv's with non-traditional service goals (i.e. NOT going for ordination)?

Help! (and thanks in advance for the comments...)

I only took the GREs for Harvard (I'm a TERRIBLE test-taker) and that was the only school I submitted my scores to... they were dismal. I didn't submit my scores to any other schools-- I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard, Yale, Duke, and Episcopal... BUT I've been accepted to Iliff School of Theology and Candler School of Theology. However... I did major in religion in college...

My college had no grades/GPA though, so despite the lack of statistics to show, I opted to not submit my scores... I still wouldn't have taken them in Harvard didn't require it. That's my experience.

Edited by vanidyam

Don't sweat that. The schools to which you're applying won't care. Heck, few schools are likely to unless they're on the conservative side. Most understand that ordination is a personal choice and may or may not be a logical choice for M.Divs... I have an M.Div., Th.M. and just got accepted to Ph.D. I have to have anyone so much as raise an eyebrow at my unordainedness...