History PhD in the Midwest?

HistoryDude

I heard from Wisconsin, and I'm IN, but my stomach still sinks every time I see a response from a school I applied to. I still haven't heard from Illinois or received an interview invitation from Yale.

Re: Illinois

I called to see if I should submit my fellowship app for a language that I had completed a month ago and the grad director told me that on Feb. 2nd Illinois was meeting to decide and I would hear the following week. Well I never heard, and the fellowship is due this friday. I called to confirm my belief that I was not admitted ..and was told that I was not admitted. Apparently, the letters have been sitting on someone's desk and have not been signed. You should be hearing soon. At least the secretary was honest, she even said "I feel you have the right to know now so you can make other plans"

Well... I guess I ought to prepare myself. It's probably a rejection. There's a small possibility that I might be a waitlist but that would only postpone my agony. I guess I will just have to console myself with Wisconsin, which is higher ranked and has faculty who are closer to my interests.

I find it odd that they are rejecting people so early. Last year, there was a slew of admits to UIUC around Feb. 23. The only question now is what about Johns Hopkins. They have sent out rejections and acceptances, and I have received neither! I would e-mail them but its so early in the game.

*Sigh*

Well... I guess I ought to prepare myself. It's probably a rejection.

I find it odd that they are rejecting people so early. Last year, there was a slew of admits to UIUC around Feb. 23.

*Sigh*

I was FLAS candidate...maybe they rejected me early because my app for FLAS had to be in by this friday...don't count yourself out yet. You never know :)

Maybe if we hold hands and chant, we'll both get acceptance letters with wonderful fellowship offers.

*sigh*

I'm willing to try anything. I felt nauseated when I didn't see a thick envelope in the mailbox this afternoon. I think my SO is ready to kill me, and she just might if I interrupt valentine's day to obsessively check the notification sites over and again.

DMH: Could let us know when you receive the actual letter? I find myself wondering how long it will take for the letters to make it off the professor's desk, especially if their desk looks anything like mine.

Sure. I'll let you know when I get it. I think it kinda sucks that the letters have just been chillin on someone's desk for a signature. Couldn't they get their work study undergrads to forge some signatures.......I think I am just bitter...haha

How did you hear, snail mail or email?! I must know!

I just found this board, and now I am wondering if I have split personality disorder, because, amanda1655, you are basically me from what I can tell of your posts in this thread. Both live in the SW (AZ for me), exact same GRE, both of us apparently also focus on British lit, GPA is different by .03, and both applying to British history programs. I do gender and education in modern (esp. 19th century, but also 18th) Britain. Please tell me you are early modern Britain, or are focused in some other area of history like international relations or empire or something!

p.s. if you want to hit me up to talk shop my aim s/n is the same as my username here.

How did you hear, snail mail or email?! I must know!

Yes..How did you hear? I heard via phone. Did the professor finally sign the letters that have been sitting on her desk for a week? lol I am curious. Sorry to hear you were rejected Amanda1655. UIUC was my first choice...and the rejection totally ruined my day!

It was by mail. I was going to write that but I was at work and my boss walked in, forcing me to quickly finish what I was typing as he walked over. It surprised me who finally signed them.... she had always been quite punctual in the past when I had a question.

I'm not too hurt. The letter was very nice - mentioned how they knew that I would have done very well in their program but the exponential growth of applications in recent years has forced them to change how they consider applications. Basically the same thing that Johns Hopkins said. I think the reason that it hurt less is that Wisconsin has already said yes, and I think I would actually take a Yale MA over an Illinois PhD.

Aw, man. That sucks!

At least you know you're in at two of the UC schools. They may or may not be your ideal situations, but the first acceptance(s) is always comforting (not that I would know this year, heh).

Good luck on the rest. And thanks for wishing me luck on mine.