Question

Hello everyone,

I am unapologetically paranoid about graduate school admissions. My undergraduate grades fluctuated quite a bit. I attended a community college for two years receiving a 3.4 GPA. I then transferred to a top 75 liberal arts college where I received a 3.2 GPA. My total undergraduate GPA works out to be a 3.3 which is not very good for more competitive programs in international development/public policy. I was hoping that I could get your feelings on my chances at admissions at Columbia SIPA and John's Hopkins SIAS. Other things to consider:

I served in the Peace Corps in Africa for two years

Taught in Asia for 1.5 years.

Conducting research in Central America from July 2017-July 2018

I won and declined a Fulbright ETA grant.

In total, I will have 4.5 years of international work experience before my program begins.

My brother is a current undergraduate student at Hopkins and is researching at SIAS.

I think that I will have rock solid letters of recommendation from undergraduate professors. I completed three internships during my undergrad and worked 20+ hours per week.

White, gay, male

Tell me what you think.

2 answers to this question

Your GPA is not horrible and you certainly have good amount of experience. However, I would apply to more than those two institutions because many experienced professionals apply to MPA or MPP. This was my strategy: apply to 3 dream schools/programs, 2 schools at your current level, and 1 or 2 safety schools. 

Good luck!!