Loyola (Chicago)

I'm in the same boat as you, Jack: admitted with an MA but no word on funding yet. Just a couple letters from the graduate school and the dean.

I spoke with the DGS over the phone several weeks ago and didn't leave the conversation with any hard numbers, just a hopeful hint that something more than what they have listed on the website might be available. Looking at their section on funding, it appears to be 14,000/yr for three years, but I really, really, really hope that it works out to be more than that. It would be nice to know up front that dissertation support (in $$$, of course) would be guaranteed for the last year.

Hopefully they'll put out these details to folks soon. Real soon.

Any knowledge of visiting days?

I did e-mail the DGS - hopefully she will get back to me in the next few days (she's on spring break), at which point I might be able to offer more information. I know for incoming students without an MA, funding through graduate assistantships is set for four years, three for those already holding an MA. After this, you are offered the opportunity to apply for competitive teaching and dissertation fellowships. I asked specifically about the availability of these later competitive fellowships, and the exact amount of the stipends at all levels. I read 14K on the website, too, but I've read that it may in fact be more (god, I hope so...14k in Chicago doesn't go far). However, I'm mostly concerned about getting through three years with funding, and then being basically frozen out if there aren't enough teaching/dissertation fellowships to go around. A guarantee would be nice, something solid with which to plan. Even an assurance that further funding is likely, if not 100% certain, would help. Nothing would be worse than having to take out loans halfway through, or being forced to discontinue studies due to financial issues.

They apparently have 5 funded slots open this year. However, they have admitted more than 5 persons to their PhD program and are waiting to see who accepts. Thus, after getting in, I am on a funding waitlist. Very, very disappointing.

same deal here. has anyone received information concerning a) how long the list is, B) where they are on it, c) when decisions will be out? i would give loyola serious consideration if i got funding but this situation seems kind of muddled.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, so I'm very confused. I got a rejection directly from Pamela Caughi about a month ago, telling me there wasn't room etc, and that I could apply to the MA if I so chose.

So I checked my mail today (waiting to hear from my last school,) and...letter from Loyola...an acceptance letter from Loyola.

I don't understand.

I wasn't on a waitlist or anything, it was a flatout rejection. And this letter definitely said acceptance to the PHD program, even if it was a conditional one. Anyone have any clues what this might be about?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious: has anyone received a funding offer from Loyola? I'm still in this weird limbo of having been admitted by the graduate school but not made an official offer by the department. The graduate school keeps mailing and emailing me a bunch of stuff, which only aggravates me without knowledge of any funding offer.

If anyone out there has more information on what's happening at Loyola, please do share. B)

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious: has anyone received a funding offer from Loyola? I'm still in this weird limbo of having been admitted by the graduate school but not made an official offer by the department. The graduate school keeps mailing and emailing me a bunch of stuff, which only aggravates me without knowledge of any funding offer.

If anyone out there has more information on what's happening at Loyola, please do share. B)

i will probably be accepting a loyola offer very soon. you are on the waitlist (possibly high up) - same thing happened to me and i eventually received an offer. btw just to clarify, Loyola offers 5 years to both incoming BAs and incoming MAs, at a bit higher than 16k a year. the website is not updated, i believe.

Liesje is right on with the funding numbers. From what I've been told, Loyola admitted 10 people for five funded slots. 2 of the 5 slots have accepted, and it sounds like it'll be 3 with Liesje. Everyone else who has been 'accepted' is on some kind of funding waitlist. I'm ambivalent about Loyola and may take myself out of the running, but in any event, things should become more clear in a week or two (registration begins on the 15th!).