MFA acceptance Letters... Do they just take longer?

Writer

Hello All!

So I applied to two schools. Columbia's application was due in early January. The other application was due by February 1st. Granted, today is February 17....Columbia received over 600 applications; they've had a little over a month to critique, debate, and hash out who's worthy, so I'm not trippin' out yet. Yet. But when should I start to worry? Has anyone heard anything from Fiction programs? When should I expect to hear news? I've been reading various forums. It looks like late February-mid March, if you get a phone call or e-mail in that time frame, you're golden. Anything after that and expect a rejection letter. Is that a generalization or a hard truth?

All insight is appreciated! B)

Hello All!

So I applied to two schools. Columbia's application was due in early January. The other application was due by February 1st. Granted, today is February 17....Columbia received over 600 applications; they've had a little over a month to critique, debate, and hash out who's worthy, so I'm not trippin' out yet. Yet. But when should I start to worry? Has anyone heard anything from Fiction programs? When should I expect to hear news? I've been reading various forums. It looks like late February-mid March, if you get a phone call or e-mail in that time frame, you're golden. Anything after that and expect a rejection letter. Is that a generalization or a hard truth?

All insight is appreciated! B)

I'm close friends with several professors who have MFA's under their belt, and they all told me March was the month to receive letters. So just hang in there :)

I've applied to the Fiction programs at UC Irvine, Riverside and Davis... and everything is still "being processed" on my end as well.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Hello, all!

This is my update as of May 30th, 2010. I got a full scholarship (plus stipend!) into my second top school. Under threats of losing this lucrative deal unless I accepted in a timely manor, I took it. I have yet to hear back from Columbia; as such, I do not regret my decision (though, I must admit, I AM rather curious to see whether or not I was accepted...though since I haven't heard anything and it's almost June, I'm 95% sure that it's a rejection... Still, considering that I paid $130 for the application, I expect a formal decision IN WRITING and I'll write--write like I do best--until Columbia provides me the decency and solace of closure.)

But that's a tangent. Just curious, has anyone heard anything from Columbia? I just checked their website, and my PIN no longer works...

Insights please biggrin.gif

• 8 months later...

I just got a call from UC Riverside (Feb 11, 2011) which I thought was early and nice. I also applied to Columbia. Still waiting to hear from New York... so, they actually threaten you to take their offer? Geez, I thought this was grad school, not Kindergarten! I'm a little nervous about that (!)