Jump to content

Fast-Tracked Reply Date


mbs191

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

OMG, I just got my first offer!!!! I applied to six schools, and just heard from the first - it was a telephone call and it went great! However, they stated that they would like me to let them know my decision as to whether I will accept their offer by the end of next week - otherwise, they will pass on the offer of admission and assistance to someone else.

Has this ever happened before? Is it allowable for a school to do this!?!?!?

What do I do?!?!!?

OMG! I thought I would be so relieved when I heard from one school....now I'm just more stressed lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Technically, they're supposed to give you until April 15. I just had to ask for an extension from a program that wanted to know by March 1, and they were very understanding about it. You should just tell them you need more time in order to make an informed decision and that you'll notify them as soon as possible. I can't imagine a school rescinding an offer because you need more time to think about it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Technically, they're supposed to give you until April 15. I just had to ask for an extension from a program that wanted to know by March 1, and they were very understanding about it. You should just tell them you need more time in order to make an informed decision and that you'll notify them as soon as possible. I can't imagine a school rescinding an offer because you need more time to think about it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, I could do that, I mean, it is one of my top 3 that I'm debating, but I wish I could just have til April like everyone else - just to evaluate ALL my options...I feel like I'm gambling here even though it could/would be a great experience. It's only a few hours away, maybe I could email them back next week and tell them that I am really considering it, and would like to make a visit to the school to check it out / make sure, etc. I'm sure they'd be open to it considering it's only a few hours drive away.

Oh geez, I guess this is "good" stress?

BTW, Mocha, I see you had to decide early too? Why do schools do this!?!?!??!!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, Mocha, I see you had to decide early too? Why do schools do this!?!?!??!!?

In my case it's because they have a limited amount of funding, and if I'm not going to take it, they want to offer it to someone else who's been admitted, before that person chooses to go elsewhere. I'm sure this happens in other programs. Sometimes it also has to do with the number of admits they give, and if you say no, someone on the wait list gets in. Again, they want to snag this other person before s/he commits to another school.

It would be great if all schools had to issue all acceptances on the same day--say, March 1--and then everyone could compare their options and decide with full information. Of course, I guess that still wouldn't help with the trickle down funding and wait list stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my case it's because they have a limited amount of funding, and if I'm not going to take it, they want to offer it to someone else who's been admitted, before that person chooses to go elsewhere. I'm sure this happens in other programs. Sometimes it also has to do with the number of admits they give, and if you say no, someone on the wait list gets in. Again, they want to snag this other person before s/he commits to another school.

It would be great if all schools had to issue all acceptances on the same day--say, March 1--and then everyone could compare their options and decide with full information. Of course, I guess that still wouldn't help with the trickle down funding and wait list stuff.

Yeah, Good call on that!!! I'm wondering, should I contact my other schools? (who knows if they even made decisions yet) and let them know that if they are considering me, then they should let me know ASAP. OMG, I feel like I am a magnet for stress lol!!!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, Good call on that!!! I'm wondering, should I contact my other schools? (who knows if they even made decisions yet) and let them know that if they are considering me, then they should let me know ASAP. OMG, I feel like I am a magnet for stress lol!!!!!!!!!!

No, don't contact the other schools. That's probably a really bad idea, for reasons expounded upon in numerous other threads. We're all tempted, but try to sit tight until you hear from them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I was only thinking of contacting them due to having to make a decision in a week's time or so.........how long of an extension did you get btw if you don't mind me asking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rogue,

Thank you SO much for that information! And yes, my school IS on there. I'm actually meeting with my thesis advisor tonight (finishing up my Masters this semester), and I'm going to mention the whole situation to her.

I asked the school in question if I could visit sometime in the coming weeks, and upon receiving their response, I'm going to politely bring up the Council of Graduate Resolution information you attached above, and let them know that while I am highly considering going to their school, the resolution which they signed and are a part of, states that I have increased time to evaluate the best options for my future.

***BTW, you said you are not going to wait to April 15th to make your decision.....are you going to wait until you hear from all of your schools though, or do you think you'll be forced to decide before you hear back from all of them.

Thanks again sooo much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rogue,

Just wanted to say thanks again for that information/link about all students having the RIGHT 'til April to decide. I did not spend 12 months prepping, etc to have to make a choice in 1-2 weeks without having heard from any schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of

such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently

desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time

through April 15.

huh, that's interesting. Thanks for the info!biggrin.gif

Edited by werd814
Link to comment
Share on other sites

***BTW, you said you are not going to wait to April 15th to make your decision.....are you going to wait until you hear from all of your schools though, or do you think you'll be forced to decide before you hear back from all of them.

Thanks again sooo much!

Nope, just the ones that might potentially be more compelling than this one, which was already near the top of my wish list of schools. If I take another offer, I'll tell them right away. If I hear back from the others and I don't get in or if I get in but choose this school over them, I'll tell them ASAP.

And you're welcome. :) Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, don't contact the other schools. That's probably a really bad idea, for reasons expounded upon in numerous other threads. We're all tempted, but try to sit tight until you hear from them.

I will have to disagree. I was counseled to do this by a mentor - tenured professional -- and it worked out well enough. I got two rejects that they were just holding out of the way and one unofficial admit. My friend did it and got an admit from the program that was holding out and a email that basically said, "please don't accept an offer before i get back with you!" 48 hours later they emailed her an acceptance and told her what they are trying to get her financially.

So, my experience is that this is normal. Once you have an offer you don't have much to lose, unless you are not committed to the idea of going to that school.

OP, it's all in how you ask. Very nicely say that due to the tough financial decisions many programs are being forced to make an existing offer from ABC must be responded to fairly soon. However, you are very excited about XYZ's program and would like to consider all of your options equally. Do they know when you might expect to hear from them.

Whether its an acceptance or a rejection at least you'll have fewer questions about "what if". The aim here is to have as much info as possible.

Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use