SUNY Buffalo vs. U of Rochester

This COMPLETELY depends on what field you're applying to, what professors you'd like to work with, etc. What is your field of interest? Are you looking at the MA or PhD programs?

Fair enough, although I really just meant in general (and to be fair, I did specify the PhD program). I don't know that I'm "applying" to any particular field; my area of interest is 19th C. English lit., especially Romanticism. But again, I was just looking for very general answers, not detailed personal advice.

Fair enough, although I really just meant in general (and to be fair, I did specify the PhD program). I don't know that I'm "applying" to any particular field; my area of interest is 19th C. English lit., especially Romanticism. But again, I was just looking for very general answers, not detailed personal advice.

My point is, applying for graduate school (particularly at the PhD level) is a really personalized process. I'm not sure how one can talk about "the best program" at such a generalized level. What would you consider to be a "good program?" Every program has its strength and weaknesses, particularly strong research foci, etc. It's difficult to gauge the program unless you have a particular set of criterion in mind--and that's, of course, relative to you. I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm not trying to be nosy, but if you're looking for helpful answers, it helps for those of us that knows these programs to understand where you're coming from.

You have to apply for a particular field at the PhD level (perhaps at the MA too?).