Please help with a conditional offer

Azhar

Hello everyone hope you are having a good time... I am writing here to get a help, I am  from Iraq, university of kufa and in one month I will start my 4th stage in faculty of arts English department. I finished my 3rd stage ranked #1 amongst my colleagues. 

I want to apply to study my master degree in uk either Oxford or UCL bcz of their well reputation and high ranking. They also offer the course I want which going to be either applied linguistics or Tesol. The only problem is that next deadlines of applications is at 31 May, by that time next year I will be having my final exams... 

Will it be possible to get a conditional offer? 

If I understand correctly, you are asking if you can apply for a Masters while in your final year of an undergraduate degree? If so, the answer is yes, that is entirely standard. You'll be offered admissions under the provision that you finish your degree before the start of the new program (or they may have some more specific requirement). You may be asked to show some documentation to that effect. Either way, you shouldn't have a problem applying now, as long as you actually graduate on time. 

Oxbridge and London always make conditional offers-- not just passing/graduating, but that you get (say) a  high 2:1 or a first, or a particular point average, plus English language competence tested at a certain level if you haven't earned a UK or English-language degree. That can make you feel a little anxious over the summer while you wait for your results, but you won't be alone. 

Even if you have already attained those levels, they will make your acceptance conditional on a bunch of other things-- notably, finances and visas.

Try www.thestudentroom.co.uk for specifics on UK universities.  There are usually postgraduate threads for most of the big schools.

Edited by Concordia

Thank you sir. Could you please explain to me this " high 2:1 or a first, or a particular point average" I always see that but I don't know if my BA when I will get it, will be fit to this standard. 

The same problem goes for my IELTS, bcz I will need to concentrate on studying my final year here so I will be seeking to delay it afterwards, even though I have  a good English, specifically speaking. And about the visa or financial stuff, these are going to be the less things to be worried about. Thank you so much for the information 

The British have their own way of classifying undergrad degrees.  A First-class Honours degree is something like an A average, or >3.7/4.0. On exams, those usually are scores >+ 70.

Second-Class Honours are divided between upper seconds (2:1) and lower seconds (2:2).  When firms that care about academic competence recruit for BAs, they will often ask for 2:1 or higher (i.e., 60-69).   MPhils or doctorate admissions committees will often specify a minimum "high 2:1 or first."  

The 2:2 (a "Desmond", 50-59) is decently respectable, but by itself won't make you attractive to employers or grad schools.

You don't see a lot of third-class degrees anymore-- those used to be sort of the "gentleman's C" equivalent.  

Anyway, the Brits are used to translating between their scores and those used in the rest of the world, so they will doubtless have an opinion what they want your marks to be.    If you want some more info, check the departmental websites and/or shoot an e-mail off to someone in admissions for help.

Edited by Concordia

I am grateful Mr, for spending time to help me.. I expect to have an average pf above 80% for sure and maybe even above 85. My 3rd stage results are 4 excellent and 4 very good. 

Wish me luck ? :), and I wish you all the best. 

@Azhar I know you're not a native speaker and don't mean anything by this, but not everyone you interact with is necessarily a man. I would advise, when corresponding with strangers, to remain gender-neutral in your replies, so as not to offend anyone. (For example, if you're writing professors or administrative assistants at universities.) Good luck. 

No worries, I don't think anyone was offended, but I sometimes see this with students who email me for professional reasons, and in that case I do find it off putting. If you don't know someone's gender, simply avoid using gendered language (here, for example, "thank you" would have done the job just as well as "thank you, sir"). 

Ok, the lesson got learnt , loud and clear :D .. May I get your email. I may not even email you, but it's good to have someone with a good experience. And for only professional reason, if any