Molecular Ecology PhD Programs

Furlock bones

Hi All, 

I hope I've posted this in the right place. I'm hoping that somebody will be able to provide me with a few more universities who conduct Molecular Ecology work, especially environmental DNA work. 

So far I've looked at 

• Michigan Tech, 
  • Teledo
  • CUNY
  • Central Michigan 

Also on average how many PhDs programs should one apply for. Unlike the UK they all seem to have application fees as well?

Hi Furlock, I'm in EBE so I don't think that's exactly the same as molecular ecology but we have some such people in our department. I applied to 8 EBE programs and got into 4. I would suggest applying to more than 4 at least because I know that has been too few for some other EBE applicants even with good stats. One crucial factor depending on the structure of these programs is whether the specific PI you want has the funds and department go ahead to take on a new student. For me I had to apply directly to one or two PIs as opposed to doing rotations, so if that is the case for you as well you need to make sure every school you apply to has an appropriate PI accepting students. You can find this out by emailing your target PIs, which I think you should always do anyway.