Take a Year Off?

I have been readmitted to the PhD program at my school, which is not bad by any standards, but I also got my BA from this school. I didn't, unfortunately, receive offers from any other schools. I actually only managed to squeak out 2 other applications (one fell through b/c of missing materials) because I was seriously overworked during the application process. I'm torn at this point because I really wanted to go somewhere else since I've been at my school so long, but since I don't have any other offers I feel like I don't have much choice except to either accept the offer or take a year off. The latter option seems kind of scary to me, but I have a couple of concerns about continuing at my current school: 1) That going to the same school for all my degrees will hurt me when I go on the market 2) That I have rushed my schooling and am not as prepared as other students who have taken longer (I finished my BA in 3 years and went straight on to the MA). Everyone I talk to (grad students only so far) has said that taking a year off is actually a really, really good thing. Still, I'm not sure if rejecting my school's offer would be a poor decision on my part, since I really don't feel like I need a break. If anything, I just feel like I want to take more seminars than I would be taking if I continue at my school. This school, btw, though not a "top" school, has one of the top programs in my field, which is the main reason why I stayed for my MA. I'm having a really hard time making a decision, and still haven't managed to get advice from my professors yet. I also want to make sure that, if I do decide to take a year off, that I'm really well-informed, so that I don't regret the decision later. I'd appreciate any advice at this point! I'm so anxious right now b/c I have no idea what I'm going to do next year! I might also add that I'm afraid that if I take a year off, I won't fair any better next year and will have wasted my time. I'm not sure how much better people typically fair in the process when trying again, but from previous posters comments it seems like people generally do better.

Edited by 123

I'm not in lit, so I don't know much how incest and other specific stuff turns out for you guys, but I just wanted to comment on (2) and some general stuff.

If you feel you're ready, you probably are ;). I have several friends who took off a year and felt like they really wasted their time- they got crappy jobs, spent most of their money on rent and food, and were bored out of their minds. Of course, if you can get a more interesting job the year might be more productive for you- I've noticed some of the lit people having pretty interesting jobs.

As for getting in to more schools- in general admissions are competitive and there's an element of randomness, so if you did get it together and apply to a lot of places, you might very well fare better (note my sig and my rejection-acceptance ratio, heh :P). But if where you are is so good for your subfield, maybe there aren't that many other places that would be better for you.

This is just one person's opinion, but when I was discussing programs with a prof from my undergrad institution, she said it would be a "terrible idea" to get my PhD from the same school as my undergrad (and equally as bad to go BA-MA-PhD from the same school). My undergrad department is top 40 or so, though it's ranked more highly for overall undergrad. I'm sure a Harvard BA-PhD wouldn't be an issue, but from her advice I'd say you might want to avoid going straight through in one program unless it's absolutely top tier, since it might be viewed negatively when you're applying for jobs. Just another opinion to consider.

I'd also say not to fear the year off. Since an English PhD is what you want to be doing, you're certainly not going to find it as exciting/fulfilling/stimulating as school, but if the year off improves your long term chances of finding a tenure-track job, I wouldn't shy away from it. At worst, it will show you how much you truly want to be moving forward in literary academia.

Caved, your professor's advice is precisely why I worry about continuing at my current school. I've asked lots of people about this, and have gotten different opinions on the matter. I'd say the general consensus is that, while it won't necessarily hurt you, it's better to be safe than sorry. Tarski, you're also right that there aren't many other places that are good fits for me. Whenever I expand my searches it seems like I have to give up something in terms of the kind of research support a school could offer me. While there are a few schools that are perfect (about 3), the rest leave me less than excited. Applying to so few schools seems incredbily risky though, even if I do put together an amazing application next year. Anyone else have some advice based on their own experience?

here's the thing i'd worry about: how sure are you that if you took a year off you could put together application materials that would get you into a PhD program that is as good/superior to your undergrad university?

another consideration: i took a year off and it was a great thing for me because it helped me put together the best possible application package, but it has been a really awful year. it's hard to read/write/work independently, and i'm not really producing anything. i absolutely cannot wait to start my PhD program. taking a year off was unbelievably tough for me, because, as you mentioned in your post i FELT read for graduate school. though i got to do some great things will be a huge boost to me when i start this fall, it was still a painful year.

here are some things i would consider were i in your shoes (in my case i would go back to my undergrad institution, but your answers to these questions might differ)

how excited are you about the program?

are you enamored with the other students, the academic community?

can you see yourself doing really great scholarship there?

are the resources top notch? are there good research facilities?

some programs (i'm thinking of the northeast consortium) will allow you to take some classes at other schools... could you do that at your school to meet new students and professors while remaining in your program?

do you have an advisor you'd love to work with for the next 5-7 years at your current school?

(unscientifically) what does your gut say?

have you seen and done everything there is to do where you are now or are there faculty you maybe haven't taken a course with?

are you excited about embarking on a PhD where you are now?

bottom line: taking a year off is a risk, but if you calculate greater rewards then go for it and i hope you put together a stellar application package and get in everywhere you want to go. best of luck making your decision!

Going to the same school is not completely unheard of nor utterly disreputable, but I'm fairly certain that the individuals who choose this path have very strong reasons for choosing such a path (highly specialized research interests/unmatchable fit with the department/faculty).

I get the feeling, however, from your situation, that your early doubts/hesitations about the program would increase if you chose to go there, because it would always leave you wondering "what if..." and with an MA already in hand, transfering becomes even more of a challening maneuver. It seems to me like you might unnecessarily be backing yourself into a corner by going to the same school, because you don't seem to excited about going there. Sometimes those positive/negative vibes one has about a place/space really affect their energy and productive output, so you'll want to consider carefully if you could realistically do your best work at this school.

Although I cannot speak from my own experience, I know people who have taken a year off and been very successful. For instance, one person applied as an undergrad as a senior and was rejected across the board. He got a local job and worked closely with his advisors throughout the application to polish his writing sample and SOP. He ended up at Harvard.

I believe that the benefits of taking a year off ultimately reflect how ultimately dedicated one is as a scholar. The individuals who really improve their apps in a year off are often those who find it natural to use the extra space of time to escape that perpetual crunch of time/rushing/hurrying/prioritizing while in school that, while productive, can sometimes hold one back from being more open to themselves about where their own interests lie. (Like the feeling in summer when, after all classes are over, you are finally able to carry out different tangential interests such as following up on reading books of a certain author you found really intriguing in a course but simply didn't have time to give to)

It really sounds to me as if you were simply not able to dedicate yourself to the all-consuming application process in this cycle because you had too much on your plate at the moment to give applications the time that they demand. The fact that you only managed to get in a few applications clearly bespeaks the fact that you probably have not given yourself a fair shake. Applications can be a full-time job in themselves, and you seem like someone who could really benefit from giving it the amount of time and energy it deserves.

Remember, you are the only one who can know for yourself the difference between making a reasoned decision versus settling. Try imagining (A) the best possible situation, and (B ) the worst possible situation you could be in a year from now * if you continue at your current program *. Then, imagine (A) the best possible situation and (B the worst possible situation you might find yourself in * if you take a year off and focus on applications *. It can really help to think about the different possibilities, and face your worries up front.

Edited by ecritdansleau

I may not be as well-versed in the politics of academia as some of the other repliers, but I do have a few thoughts... It seems as though you are having doubts about continuing with your current program. Are those stemming from your desire to complete your Ph.D. elsewhere? Or are you happy with your institution but worried about the prospects for the future? Perhaps you just need to sit down and think about what you really want, not necessarily what you feel pressured to do.

As far as taking a year off from school, I can't see how it would be a bad thing. I have taught high school for several years, and it's been wonderful teaching experience; because pedagogy is one of my area of interests, this only helps me.

Good luck!

I may not be as well-versed in the politics of academia as some of the other repliers, but I do have a few thoughts... It seems as though you are having doubts about continuing with your current program. Are those stemming from your desire to complete your Ph.D. elsewhere? Or are you happy with your institution but worried about the prospects for the future? Perhaps you just need to sit down and think about what you really want, not necessarily what you feel pressured to do.

As far as taking a year off from school, I can't see how it would be a bad thing. I have taught high school for several years, and it's been wonderful teaching experience; because pedagogy is one of my area of interests, this only helps me.

Good luck!

Ditto Wordslinger. I took 4 years "off" because I didn't get in ANYWHERE my first round of PhD apps. In my 4 years "off," I taught one year of high school (which I personally did NOT enjoy but learned a great deal!), and went to law school. I figured, worst case scenario, I could be a lawyer. I didn't much like law school, but I did really well, so it overcame the objections that my MA grades (3.9) were a fluke compared to my undergrad grades (2.7..YEAH). Plus, at least in Rhet/Comp, a law degree is an asset, so my time/$ commitment to law school (I also got a TON of publishing opportunities in law school) wasn't a waste after all. While I wouldn't suggest doing the law route to someone who doesn't have any interest in anything legal AND doesn't want to incur a tremendous amount of debt, I do think spending a year or more out experiencing the world--teaching, working, traveling, whatever--VERY OFTEN makes the difference between a so-so application and a successful one.

Besides, if you can afford to take a year off, you'd be crazy to pass that up! Take some time, evaluate what you really want, then reapply. That's JMO.