Crossing fields?

A question for the English types: does a guy with a polisci background ever successfully switch to English/Lit/Writing? I can see from most admissions websites that I'd likely need about 30 credit hours of advanced stuff (since I don't have a degree in this field) and GRE subject tests (since I didn't take a subject test for international relations). So that kind of thing would have to be fulfilled, obviously. But, if I fulfilled it, would I be taken seriously anywhere? Are there programs that anyone can point out that would be particularly receptive to a cross-over? It's a tempting prospect, if at all realistic... THANKS!

A question for the English types: does a guy with a polisci background ever successfully switch to English/Lit/Writing? I can see from most admissions websites that I'd likely need about 30 credit hours of advanced stuff (since I don't have a degree in this field) and GRE subject tests (since I didn't take a subject test for international relations). So that kind of thing would have to be fulfilled, obviously. But, if I fulfilled it, would I be taken seriously anywhere? Are there programs that anyone can point out that would be particularly receptive to a cross-over? It's a tempting prospect, if at all realistic... THANKS!

I think that if you went back to school and took a bunch of upper level english courses (with great grades and excellent writing samples), got the profs from those classes to write you glowing LORs, then aced the subject and general verbal GRE, wrote a strong, focused SOP, I don't see why they wouldn't take you seriously. If you put in the work to get what you need to apply, they'll see that as dedication. At least I think so. But you'd probably have to take a year or two to prep for it between all the stuff you should prepare. I mean... not EVERYONE knows they want an English PhD while in college - and if you put in the work and effort, it should pay off somewhere.

However, i'm not on any adcom anywhere :blink:. I do know that most programs accept a few non-English-majors once in a while, if they can prove they're serious about the switch. And if you do the work, and perform well, you're basically doing just that.

One good way to test the waters is to get an MA in English. This could do a lot for your profile: give you the opportunity to produce a strong writing sample; allow you to form relationships with professors who could write your recommendation letters; help you figure out what fields interest you; and provide the theoretical background that a lot of people who don't have much formal training in literary analysis lack. My impression is that an MA degree can be a great stepping stone for someone who wants to change disciplines.

I think that if you went back to school and took a bunch of upper level english courses (with great grades and excellent writing samples), got the profs from those classes to write you glowing LORs, then aced the subject and general verbal GRE, wrote a strong, focused SOP, I don't see why they wouldn't take you seriously. If you put in the work to get what you need to apply, they'll see that as dedication. At least I think so. But you'd probably have to take a year or two to prep for it between all the stuff you should prepare. I mean... not EVERYONE knows they want an English PhD while in college - and if you put in the work and effort, it should pay off somewhere.

One good way to test the waters is to get an MA in English. This could do a lot for your profile: give you the opportunity to produce a strong writing sample; allow you to form relationships with professors who could write your recommendation letters; help you figure out what fields interest you; and provide the theoretical background that a lot of people who don't have much formal training in literary analysis lack. My impression is that an MA degree can be a great stepping stone for someone who wants to change disciplines.

These two posts represent *exactly* my path to graduate school in English, following an undergraduate degree in a completely different field. Some schools (like the one I attended) have programs specifically designed to transition non-English majors into the graduate program in English. You'll take a number of upper-division English courses to "level" your record; along the way you post high grades, establish relationships with faculty members, and improve your writing and interpretive skills. In the end you've got proof that you can succeed in upper-division English courses, willing recommenders, and, ideally, a solid writing sample culled from one of the courses you took. It certainly can be done; it just takes time and effort.

Wow this is good stuff. Thanks, guys. The MA idea is something... adds a bit of time to the timeline, but then again, it makes sense/gets the job done. It leads to another question, in that case: What do you think about PhD via the MA route? That goes not just for crossing over these fields, but even if I want to stay in my field - where I already have an MA - would it be worth applying to an MA if I'm rejected as a PhD candidate? And going back to the MA thing -- could I get into MA for English without loading up on credit hours first? Would I need the GRE subject test?