International Conference on Comfort Women at CUNY Queens

KevinJHa

Hello all!

I am helping organize and publicize an International Conference the RCKC (Research Center for Korean Community) is hosting at CUNY Queens College in New York. I am currently a Research Assistant for Dr. Pyong Gap Min at the CUNY Graduate Center, and applying to PhD programs to study immigration and race this upcoming December. I want to do well at the tasks Dr. Min has assigned to me, and part of it is making sure this conference runs smoothly.

If the event is too far from you or you cannot attend, it would help me a great deal if you could at least like our page on Facebook. We are relatively new on social media and I have the sole responsibility of gaining online exposure for the organization.

Here is some background for the event:

"The forced mobilization of an estimated 80,000 to 200,000 Asian women to Japanese military brothels during the Asia-Pacific War (1932-1945) was one of the most heinous and brutal war crimes in history. These victims of military sexual slavery have been referred to as “comfort women,” a euphemism originally used by Japanese soldiers. Although it has been over 70 years since the Asia-Pacific War and World War II ended, the Japanese government has not yet made a sincere apology and compensation to the victims.

In 1990, a redress movement began in South Korea in an attempt to persuade the Japanese government to apologize for its past actions and to sufficiently compensate the surviving victims. This movement has received global support from South Korea, other Asian countries, the U.S., and many other Western countries.

This conference invites “comfort women” scholars and movement leaders in Korea, Japan, and the United States to look back at the 27-year old movement and to publicize the “comfort women” issue and the Japanese government’s obligations to take responsible actions to the victims and Asian countries."

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RCKCqueens/

Organization site: www.koreanamericandatabank.org

If anyone is interested in this event, please RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-redress-movement-for-the-victims-of-japanese-military-sexual-slavery-tickets-36833234195.

Thanks so much,

Kevin