Internship not what I expected...Need advice

DB75

Hello Everyone:

I am a graduate student pursuing an MSW degree. I just started my internship a few weeks ago. It is not what I expected. I am not learning anything and the person that is my task supervisor is pretty much "hands off." I have spoken to my field instructor and was advised to see if things will get better. I felt like I was sold a dream during interview at placement. I called my school to see if I could withdraw but was told that I would owe the school money when I return to complete my degree.

I am responsible for finding my own placement and have only 2 weeks to do so. It was difficult finding my own placement. Not many 24/7 facilities that have SW staff on duty in the evenings/weekends. I work full time and this placement is 24/7 and works with my schedule.  I cannot afford to quit my job. Any advice?

There are probably not many alternative placements that would allow you to keep working full time. I would think about what your goals are here - pragmatically, you probably just want to finish the degree. Just make sure that you can get your supervisor to articulate some goals that will be used to assess you (or is just going to check off that you're doing fine). 

15 hours ago, TheCrow said:

There are probably not many alternative placements that would allow you to keep working full time. I would think about what your goals are here - pragmatically, you probably just want to finish the degree. Just make sure that you can get your supervisor to articulate some goals that will be used to assess you (or is just going to check off that you're doing fine). 

Thank you for your response. I have been crying and stressing about this situation. At this point, I do just want to complete my degree so I can move forward with my career. I am tired and exhausted.