Best Path for Masters to Biostatistics?

Hi,

Applying for graduate school this Fall 2017. Very interested in going to a biostatistics PhD. Unfortunately my original schooling was in an unrelated field and I do not have that many high level math\statistics courses in time for the Fall (my current math grades are somewhat lackluster). My current plan is to go to a masters program and then apply to get into a PhD after but I do not know about my competitiveness or if I should be applying to the coursework masters or the thesis masters in Canada. Will the marks I have for the Fall be looked at for entry? i.e if I get a high mark in real analysis this semester will it be seen in time for an admission decision?

School: Toronto

cGPA: 3.5, Last two: 3.9

Relevant Courses: Calculus (A), Multivariable (A-), Linear Algebra (A-), Stats & Prob I (A-), Stats & Prob II (A+), Regression (A)

Ideally I would be applying for a good Masters program in the US but I do not know if the US program that I could get into would be better than the Canadian programs I could get into. This is because it is much easier for residents to funding and it is the reverse for a Canadian in the US. Thus, putting myself into a lot of debt without any upside (school is way cheaper in Canada). Any American schools I would be competitive with these stats?

Currently looking at McMaster, UofT, McGill, Waterloo.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have strong extra-curricular activities, good letters of reference and some research related to biostatistics. Although it is my understanding that this does not really matter in comparison to my grades in high level math courses. (Referencing Cyberwulf's pinned post)

Thanks!

Edited by bottle_mouse_keyboard

Assuming you get your grades around mid-late December, your initial application probably won't have your fall grades, but most schools accept an update so you can send that in as soon as you get your grades.

You are probably competitive for any master's program (and I think lower top 10 phd programs too with a solid gre/grade in analysis).

Edited by edward130603

On 9/11/2017 at 9:08 AM, edward130603 said:

Assuming you get your grades around mid-late December, your initial application probably won't have your fall grades, but most schools accept an update so you can send that in as soon as you get your grades.

You are probably competitive for any master's program (and I think lower top 10 phd programs too with a solid gre/grade in analysis).

Thanks for replying.

Do you know if doing a masters in Biostatistics at a top 5 program would significantly increase my odds of getting into the PhD later or would any masters in statistics/biostatistics (at a top 60 school) be good as long as there was a heavy math component.

I say this because it seems a lot of the masters in biostatistics do not offer things like mathematical statistics courses which PhD programs look for. 

Edited by bottle_mouse_keyboard