GRE Math for Continental Phil

Neither Here Nor There

I am finally putting in my phd applications this season, and I'm pulling hairs and half-way screaming over the math section of the GRE.  I have not had math since high school 10 years ago (did it for dual credit), and it was algebra.

My AOI is in theology and medieval philosophy and some contemporary Continental issues as it relates to med. philosophy. I am applying to continental schools and theology programs. The other part of my application should not be weak. I have a 4.0 grad GPA, 4.0. institutional undergrad GPA (had a couple Bs in piano from the CC; go figure, I had a high A in algebra and chemistry and now can't remember either),  strong letters, strong thesis, good sample, a lot of conferences, a publication.

But the damn math section of the GRE.

Any tips on how to improve this besides hitting my head against the desk? I want to cry because I would not make a bad application if they could just ever see my application. I know there are many others who make just as good of an applicant, but I still want mine to be seen with the others.

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

Don't sweat it. Even for analytics, the GRE doesn't matter much. It mostly matters because sometimes you can qualify for a university-level scholarship on the basis of high GRE scores. As long as your scores aren't abysmally low, they're pretty much irrelevant. Everybody on admissions committees knows that the GRE is worthless, and it's pretty common for philosophy applicants to have higher verbal than quantitative scores. It's no big deal. Just do your best. Practice is the key.

Yea that's the thing. My math score may be embarrassingly low. I am doing the practice, but I can only "remember" math so fast, and the deadline is coming shortly.  I did two master's degrees in Canada, so we did not have to do the GRE. So basically, I've not had any math in over ten years. 

I intend to try to ace the verbal. I wish we did not need the math section. I kind of understand it for analytic students, but I do hermeneutics.