i see there are two rutgers admits. anyone want to claim them w stats or anything? thanks!

Given that the English Department website's "Open House" advertisement was updated at the same time that we began hearing news about acceptances and wait-lists, I've resigned myself to the likelihood of rejection.

As a sidenote... If the statistics on this website serve as any indication, I'll be forced to abandon the discipline I've doggedly pursued for the past eight years...

"If you think it long and mad,

the wind of banners

that passes through my life,

and you decide to leave me at the shore

of the heart where I have roots,

remember

that on that day,

at that hour,

I shall lift my arms,

and my roots will set off

to seek another land."

Edited by InTransition?

I believe Rutgers are aiming for an incoming class of 11-12 this year, but I could be wrong.

You're not wrong; that's the number they're aiming for (just talked to person on admissions committee today who happens to be compatible to my research interests). He added that they made a slightly fewer offers this year.

You're not wrong; that's the number they're aiming for (just talked to person on admissions committee today who happens to be compatible to my research interests). He added that they made a slightly fewer offers this year.

This is really the application season from hell; ridiculous amounts of applicants, fewer spots across the board... My advisor (who was at an adcomm committee at a school where I didn't make the cut) told me something along the lines that I don't realize how fierce it has been this year - and I probably don't. I feel so grateful that it all worked out for me.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just got in to Rutgers off the waitlist and was wondering if anyone who went to the Open House could give some impression of the department. I'm hoping to be able to visit before April 15th but I'm not sure how possible it is even though I live nearby. If anyone is unwilling to share their thoughts publicly, I wouldn't mind corresponding through private messages as well.

So, I just got in to Rutgers off the waitlist and was wondering if anyone who went to the Open House could give some impression of the department. I'm hoping to be able to visit before April 15th but I'm not sure how possible it is even though I live nearby. If anyone is unwilling to share their thoughts publicly, I wouldn't mind corresponding through private messages as well.

You've probably seen this thread -- if not, have a look. I wasn't at the Open House either, so I can't help you much more than pointing you there. If you choose Rutgers though, feel free to contact me (I've accepted their offer).

I'll be accepting, too, and was able to visit before the open house on a one-on-one basis. Do feel free to email me!