GRE Question

spot4992

Took the GRE today, unofficial scores of 164 verbal and 166 quant. I was expecting a 168-170 quant since I had no problems with any of the practice problems I could get my hands on, should I plan on retaking it? That would be a pretty expensive 2 points.

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2017 at 4:54 AM, spot4992 said:

Took the GRE today, unofficial scores of 164 verbal and 166 quant. I was expecting a 168-170 quant since I had no problems with any of the practice problems I could get my hands on, should I plan on retaking it? That would be a pretty expensive 2 points.

I feel a 166 quant is good enough, you're a 91 percentiler in quant. Unless you're applying for Ivy Leagues, I think it should do.

Check this link out: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table1a.pdf

If you're still confused about your score, shoot a mail to the university or ask the university students/alums if this score is enough through LinkedIn or Facebook.

• 1 month later...

I don’t know know. But UPenn and Cornell’s websites explicitly state that coursework in mathematics is a main requirement. But I can tell you that I applied to one program straight out of undergrad and it was useless. The school expected me to complete 13 prerequisites; multivariablr calc, multivariable calc based statistics, grad level(ms) econometrics, upper div linear algebra, diff equations, and grad level finance course,,,, it was a financial economics PhD program. I was told by a Stanford professor finish ODE and if I can PDE.

the reason I mention this is because you didn’t state your whole profile. Also the school i applied to said I’d have to pay for the prerequisite courses and wouldn’t get funding until I passed all and taken off conditional status

Edited by Finecon

I think you should be ok with your 91st percentile quant score and math courses you said you took during your undergrad. Top 15 schools maybe difficult because so many people apply with perfect quant scores these days, top 25-30 schools should be doable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think that most schools don't care once you've passed the first cut (partially based on GRE)... I mean professors who examine your app don't even know what score you've got (unless you mention it in your CV).