Literature Subject GRE - April

Branwen daughter of Llyr

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much need to get above 700 on this to compensate for being away from the field for 9 years...

Anyone else registered for the April test?

I was thinking of registering for the October test and making a revision of my writing sample a priority this year.

I was thinking of registering for the October test and making a revision of my writing sample a priority this year.

Once I'm done with the test in April, I'm moving on to revising my writing sample. I thought about changing the test date to October, as well, but then thought - what If I bomb it? I won't have time to take it again - may as well take it now, and if I don't do well (hopefully this WILL NOT HAPPEN), I can always take in again in the fall.

Good luck! And study your criticism thoroughly - from what I've heard, they've been putting more and more questions in regarding theory and criticism, and much less identification than they used to.

Once I'm done with the test in April, I'm moving on to revising my writing sample. I thought about changing the test date to October, as well, but then thought - what If I bomb it? I won't have time to take it again - may as well take it now, and if I don't do well (hopefully this WILL NOT HAPPEN), I can always take in again in the fall.

Good luck! And study your criticism thoroughly - from what I've heard, they've been putting more and more questions in regarding theory and criticism, and much less identification than they used to.

It's true about the criticism! I did so poorly on the exam last November...I was much more prepared for IDs. I was terrible with time management, too. I had been thinking I might not be ready for April's test--I imagine I'll still be quite bummed from this round of rejections (this is my first year applying). If you decide to take the test in October and aren't happy with your results, you can always take it in November. What's your study plan? GOOD LUCK!!

hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice :)

these are two EXTREMELY helpful websites for anyone preparing for the test:

http://lasr.cs.ucla.edu/alison/hapaxlegomena/index.html

http://www.duke.edu/~tmw15/

i printed everything out from here, made a giant binder and went to town.

i also skimmed really quickly through the entire norton literary theory anthology. i have not much background in theory, and i went through this in a day and a half. i think i got all of the 6(ish) questions i had on theory correct. i went through the entire norton british anthology in exhaustive detail (i am an americanist and i focused heavily on american lit in my undergraduate courses...so i was in a bit of a bad spot for the test and had to make up for it)

i hate to admit it, but i also picked up a few points thanks to sparknotes.

i wound up scoring a 710 on the test. some of my LOR writers were really worried about how i would do because i hadn't had as many survey courses in british literature as maybe i should have. so this score was more than i expected.

this test is basically about putting hours and hours of reading in. and nothing for detail. i'd also not rely too heavily on the princeton review or REA books...the REA practice exams are especially useless. i wouldn't even glance at those practice exams. use the princeton review and the one ETS gives you if you want to do a sample exam. REA will frustrate you and really not provide much benefit. princeton review on the other hand, while it hasn't really kept up with the changes in the test in recent years, will still give you a decent idea of what to expect and will bolster your knowledge base.

literary terms in the back of the norton are all the review you will need. (it's like a little dictionary at the very end of the anthology...if you don't look for it you could easily miss it, as i almost did) princeton review literary terms were quite good also, but certainly not as comprehensive as what the norton has to offer.

also: when you're taking the exam, you need to be moving VERY FAST the entire time. you've got to be answering questions quickly and accurately. you need to guess strategically and move on. i'm being so emphatic about this because i really screwed up my timing when i took the test. i guessed on some questions i probably shouldn't have, and i was kicking myself about answers i knew to be incorrect as soon as i got in my car because i allowed myself to get flustered by not working fast enough at the beginning. all's well that ends well, and i got above a 700 which was what i needed, but i definitely lost points i didn't need to lose.

and just fyi- some things about the test may change, but ETS's inexplicable fascination with restoration comedy lives on!

very best of luck to all who are taking the april exam!

http://lasr.cs.ucla....mena/index.html

i also skimmed really quickly through the entire norton literary theory anthology. i have not much background in theory, and i went through this in a day and a half. i think i got all of the 6(ish) questions i had on theory correct. i went through the entire norton british anthology in exhaustive detail (i am an americanist and i focused heavily on american lit in my undergraduate courses...so i was in a bit of a bad spot for the test and had to make up for it)

i wound up scoring a 710 on the test. some of my LOR writers were really worried about how i would do because i hadn't had as many survey courses in british literature as maybe i should have. so this score was more than i expected.

this test is basically about putting hours and hours of reading in. and nothing for detail. i'd also not rely too heavily on the princeton review or REA books...the REA practice exams are especially useless. i wouldn't even glance at those practice exams. use the princeton review and the one ETS gives you if you want to do a sample exam. REA will frustrate you and really not provide much benefit. princeton review on the other hand, while it hasn't really kept up with the changes in the test in recent years, will still give you a decent idea of what to expect and will bolster your knowledge base.

literary terms in the back of the norton are all the review you will need. (it's like a little dictionary at the very end of the anthology...if you don't look for it you could easily miss it, as i almost did) princeton review literary terms were quite good also, but certainly not as comprehensive as what the norton has to offer.

also: when you're taking the exam, you need to be moving VERY FAST the entire time. you've got to be answering questions quickly and accurately. you need to guess strategically and move on. i'm being so emphatic about this because i really screwed up my timing when i took the test. i guessed on some questions i probably shouldn't have, and i was kicking myself about answers i knew to be incorrect as soon as i got in my car because i allowed myself to get flustered by not working fast enough at the beginning. all's well that ends well, and i got above a 700 which was what i needed, but i definitely lost points i didn't need to lose.

and just fyi- some things about the test may change, but ETS's inexplicable fascination with restoration comedy lives on!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you again! I'm grateful for your advice on approaching this beast.

http://lasr.cs.ucla....mena/index.html

I'm using both sites - they are FANTASTIC.

I'm using Penguin's dictionary of literary terms and theory - has pretty much everything I need for the criticism part - major players in each theory, key terms, etc. I can now easily distinguish between feminists, psychoanalytic, deconstructionist, structuralist, etc.

How awesome!! I'm aiming for the 700-750 range. I can recognize most stuff pre-1800 really well, less good on the modernists.

Thank GOD I can recognize most restoration comedy from one line. I took a great course in restoration comedy and theater - so all those guys are my best friends already!!

And thanks! B)

It's true about the criticism! I did so poorly on the exam last November...I was much more prepared for IDs. I was terrible with time management, too. I had been thinking I might not be ready for April's test--I imagine I'll still be quite bummed from this round of rejections (this is my first year applying). If you decide to take the test in October and aren't happy with your results, you can always take it in November. What's your study plan? GOOD LUCK!!

I'm using both sites mentioned above - reading through Norton Anthology (English AND American), brushing up on criticism, did fairly well on the Princeton practice test and am now on the ETS one. I'm taking my time, and actually READING the test (i.e. for each question I don't know I hit the books immediately until I find the reference, and then put in down on my index cards). I'm also reading a LOT of poetry (they seem to LOVE the romantics), reviewing plots for longer novels that I'm less familiar with, and memorizing the Author-Title-Main Characters-Plot scheme. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING IN DEPTH. The tricky parts are the "reading comprehensions" - they use very difficult passages for those. Also, review your grammar - transitive verbs and such - they seem to love using Milton for grammar questions because his 20 line sentences are so effing convoluted (I love Milton, but I SWEAR, asking grammar questions about him is like standing in front of a firing squad).

Considering ETS takes at least two weeks to give subject test results, and I'm taking the test overseas, the October/November thing is tricky. I may not KNOW my results in time to register for the November test. So I'm taking it in April. I'm studying about 2-3 hours a day (I've been reading my Anthologies at work on slow days), and devote a lot of my weekend to studying, so I'm hoping for above 700.

Thanks to those on this thread who helped me out in another forum about crossing fields into English... I'm wondering now about taking the English Lit subject GRE and whether you take all sections with this test, or whether you just take the subject and that's it. In other words, when I show up at the testing center, will I do this subject in addition to normal verbal/quant/writing, or am I just being tested on this one subject? Thanks in advance.

Thanks to those on this thread who helped me out in another forum about crossing fields into English... I'm wondering now about taking the English Lit subject GRE and whether you take all sections with this test, or whether you just take the subject and that's it. In other words, when I show up at the testing center, will I do this subject in addition to normal verbal/quant/writing, or am I just being tested on this one subject? Thanks in advance.

The two tests are completely separate. The subject test is held 3 times a year - in April, October, and November. it's a paper test, 230 questions, covers everything from classical greek plays to Alan Ginsburg and Jack Kerouac. Also covers major critical theories, some grammar (especially in convoluted 20 line sentences from Paradise Lost, and vocabulary in context (i.e. "in the above passage, what is the meaning of 'happened' (line 3)). Almost no one manages to answer every single question correctly (I want to meet the person who did and bow at their feet in utter humility), but it IS possible to answer only 3/4 of the exam and still get above a 700. This is a test that you SHOULD PREPARE FOR - especially if you're interested in pursuing an English PhD with BA / MA from a different field. I've been out of school for 9 years, and the way I'm compensating for that is this test, and by revising my writing sample.

The general GRE is now a CAT test - computerized completely. Often the tests are administered in different locations. So no - I do NOT recommend taking these tests less than a month apart. Get one done (either general or subject), and then do the other.

Despite recurring discussions about importance of GRE scores, most top-tier programs do have high expectations of applicants. If aiming for a program like Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Cornell, etc., aside from the best SOP and writing sample you've ever written, you should aim for above a 700 on your verbal GRE section, and be at LEAST in the 85th percentile for the subject test (normally at or above 650). of course, there are always exceptions to this, but if you are thinking of making the move to English, you really have to present an AMAZING application to compete with the other hundreds of amazing applicants out there.

Read the above posts for suggestions of how to prep for the subject test. it's a killer exam, I'm studying appx 3-4 hours a day for it, and more on the weekends. i'm also planning on taking less shifts at work the week before the test (thank god it's passover vacation!! means other job is out for a week anyhow) to cram pretty much straight up to the exam. If you are new to English lit as a field of study, register for the November exam and pace yourself - there is a lot of material to take in!

Good luck!

... but if you are thinking of making the move to English, you really have to present an AMAZING application to compete with the other hundreds of amazing applicants out there.

Read the above posts for suggestions of how to prep for the subject test. it's a killer exam ...

Good luck!

Wow. Ok, thanks. Would I be right in assuming that English departments don't look at quant scores, or is that wishful thinking? I feel like I'm in a good position - I got a 730 on my GRE verbal (valid for 5 years) and I would have a year and a half to study for this killer exam because I'd have to take a year's worth of coursework in the meantime anyway. So, with that much time to study and a 730 already in the bag, that's good, right? And it's OK that my math is a 470 - or not?

Branwen, you rock and thank you again.

Wow. Ok, thanks. Would I be right in assuming that English departments don't look at quant scores, or is that wishful thinking? I feel like I'm in a good position - I got a 730 on my GRE verbal (valid for 5 years) and I would have a year and a half to study for this killer exam because I'd have to take a year's worth of coursework in the meantime anyway. So, with that much time to study and a 730 already in the bag, that's good, right? And it's OK that my math is a 470 - or not?

Branwen, you rock and thank you again.

you are right - quant scores don't count AS much for the department. Unfortunately, for state schools, they somewhat count for fellowships (no - you DO NOT need to get a perfect score - just be around the 50th percentile).

Oh - a year and a half is plenty. If you're taking courses anyhow - take a LOT of surveys - they will help a great deal. And yes - it's good :). You sound amazingly dedicated! (I wish I wish I wish I could take full classes next year)

(and thanks B))

Let's talk writing samples. What do I need to come up with, realistically? I've never been published.

ahhh writing sample. While taking classes next year, you need to take at least one in which your final paper is a research paper (not just close reading or analysis) about 12-15 pp long. Try to make sure that it uses some sort of critical theory, has a good bibliography, and showcases your writing, analysis, and researching skills. Of course, be as original as possible in your paper's argument. If the paper is the result of a senior / honors thesis seminar, so much the better.

If you have a specific period / subfield you're interested in, try to focus the paper on that. I.e - if you are interested in modernist poetry - try to write the paper about a topic in modernist poetry. However, since you haven't taken any classes yet, don't limit yourself in the classes - I ended up falling in love with medieval lit utterly by mistake (I was a renaissance - early modern girl obsessed with Shakespeare before my first medieval / Chaucer class. Oh wait - I'm still obsessed with Shakespeare.... and Jonson... and Swift... however, I'm more obsessed with the Arthurian cycle hahahahah).

It's ok that you haven't been published (neither have I). Most applicants straight out of BA haven't been published. Even many MA students haven't been published yet. What you need to make sure of is that the writing sample is publishing worthy - so even after you get an A on it from your prof, revise it, tighten it, make sure all spelling errors are gone, and sit down with your advisor and have a prof read it again and give you comments specifically for publication and applying to a PhD. You're actually very lucky - you'll have the support of a school and profs for the writing sample! And a LIBRARY!! Take advantage of everything the department offers.

You have an amazing opportunity to create close relationships with some profs for your LORs, as well!

I'm not sure if this is of any help to anyone, but I had a contact at Umich Ann Arbor who inquired about my GRE scores so that she could make sure that my app would actually make it to the department if I didn't score well enough (I think she used the word "rescue"). It wouldn't be too fun, I think we can all agree, to be shut out of consideration before even getting to the people supposed to do the considering...

Anyway, my scores were above the cut-off point, and in the Literature test, I scored in the ~60th percentile (and I was really happy about that score too!). From what I've heard, 50th percentile or more will get you through. Maybe not for Harvard and the like, but still at good schools.

My GRE General, FYI, were V: ~98th, Q: ~40th, AW: ~LOW.

Edited by p7389

I'm not sure if this is of any help to anyone, but I had a contact at Umich Ann Arbor who inquired about my GRE scores so that she could make sure that my app would actually make it to the department if I didn't score well enough (I think she used the word "rescue"). It wouldn't be too fun, I think we can all agree, to be shut out of consideration before even getting to the people supposed to do the considering...

Anyway, my scores were above the cut-off point, and in the Literature test, I scored in the ~60th percentile (and I was really happy about that score too!). From what I've heard, 50th percentile or more will get you through. Maybe not for Harvard and the like, but still at good schools.

My GRE General, FYI, were V: ~98th, Q: ~40th, AW: ~LOW.

I'm not taking any chances. No way would I be satisfied with a 60th percentile subject score - my top choice programs are Harvard and UCLA (due to the program, not the prestige - I'm applying at U Colorado Boulder, as well). And if you've had a 9 year gap in your studies, like me, you really don't want to give them any excuses for not taking you. StrongFlatWhite, like myself, is a "different" candidate. His UG major was not English, so he has to go above and beyond the call of duty to get into a top-50 school. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to blow off the GRE - general or subject, especially if they haven't taken it yet.

Obviously, the SOP and writing sample carry a great deal of weight in English PhD applications. However, why in God's name would you sabotage your chances of getting into your top-choice schools because of a stupid test that all you have to do in order to do well in is study for it? My main goal is making my 2011 apps as attractive and competitive as possible. And part of that is doing well on the stupid, idiotic GRE's. It's possible, and it doesn't do me ANY harm to sit down and study for it properly. I get to learn things that I enjoy, review stuff that I haven't touched in years, and I've gotten some superb ideas just from reviewing criticism. For me, 60th percentile just doesn't cut it. I'm not a 60th percentile student, and I never have been. I fully intend to work my ass off to prove to the top programs in the country that I'm more than worthy of attending, and that I have the drive and incentive to work hard and succeed.

My first general GRE wasn't terrific, so I took it again. Achieved a verbal score of 720 - 98th percentile, Q670 - 63rd percentile, and an AWA of 5.0 (although personally I think I should have gotten a 6.0, or at least a 5.5, but what are you going to do, argue??). With an excellent subject score, I'm in reaching distance of my goals, and I can concentrate on the really important stuff - SOP and writing sample.

I'm glad you got in to U Mich - it's a great program. But this app season has gotten SO competitive, that I'm preparing myself for an even more cutthroat season for the 2011 app season. And although a good GRE profile doesn't guarantee a spot - it sure can give you an edge between comparable applicants.

I'm not taking any chances. No way would I be satisfied with a 60th percentile subject score - my top choice programs are Harvard and UCLA (due to the program, not the prestige - I'm applying at U Colorado Boulder, as well). And if you've had a 9 year gap in your studies, like me, you really don't want to give them any excuses for not taking you. StrongFlatWhite, like myself, is a "different" candidate. His UG major was not English, so he has to go above and beyond the call of duty to get into a top-50 school. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to blow off the GRE - general or subject, especially if they haven't taken it yet.

Obviously, the SOP and writing sample carry a great deal of weight in English PhD applications. However, why in God's name would you sabotage your chances of getting into your top-choice schools because of a stupid test that all you have to do in order to do well in is study for it? My main goal is making my 2011 apps as attractive and competitive as possible. And part of that is doing well on the stupid, idiotic GRE's. It's possible, and it doesn't do me ANY harm to sit down and study for it properly. I get to learn things that I enjoy, review stuff that I haven't touched in years, and I've gotten some superb ideas just from reviewing criticism. For me, 60th percentile just doesn't cut it. I'm not a 60th percentile student, and I never have been. I fully intend to work my ass off to prove to the top programs in the country that I'm more than worthy of attending, and that I have the drive and incentive to work hard and succeed.

My first general GRE wasn't terrific, so I took it again. Achieved a verbal score of 720 - 98th percentile, Q670 - 63rd percentile, and an AWA of 5.0 (although personally I think I should have gotten a 6.0, or at least a 5.5, but what are you going to do, argue??). With an excellent subject score, I'm in reaching distance of my goals, and I can concentrate on the really important stuff - SOP and writing sample.

I'm glad you got in to U Mich - it's a great program. But this app season has gotten SO competitive, that I'm preparing myself for an even more cutthroat season for the 2011 app season. And although a good GRE profile doesn't guarantee a spot - it sure can give you an edge between comparable applicants.

I'm not arguing against you -- of course a higher score is better, and perhaps, even quite necessary at the most prestigious schools. I just think it is important to emphasize that a high GRE isn't everything, even if a high-enough score is vital. You're very aware of these things, I know, and it's great that you approach the GRE in Lit with such gusto. I personally found the experience quite abhorrent.

Let me also add about my score: of course, I wasn't euphoric or anything -- but it was good enough not to keep me out, and that was reason enough to be happy.

But you're probably right about next year though. A lot of people will be trying again, and they will be so much more ready for the process this time around. It's going to be rough.

Although let me say this too: your application package next year is going to be impressive. I have no doubt that you will get the kind of score you're aiming for, and then spend the summer writing a killer writing sample.

Edited by p7389

I'm not arguing against you -- of course a higher score is better, and perhaps, even quite necessary at the most prestigious schools. I just think it is important to emphasize that a high GRE isn't everything, even if a high-enough score is vital. You're very aware of these things, I know, and it's great that you approach the GRE in Lit with such gusto. I personally found the experience quite abhorrent.

Let me also add about my score: of course, I wasn't euphoric or anything -- but it was good enough not to keep me out, and that was reason enough to be happy.

But you're probably right about next year though. A lot of people will be trying again, and they will be so much more ready for the process this time around. It's going to be rough.

Although let me say this too: your application package next year is going to be impressive. I have no doubt that you will get the kind of score you're aiming for, and then spend the summer writing a killer writing sample.

Thanks!! That's what I'm hoping for - I want some choice - be accepted to a few programs, have a tad bit of luxury in the selection process. I guess the advantage of being 9 years post graduation is that ANY studying, even for the stupid GRE's is welcome. When I was cramming for the general GRE, I actually got excited about the vocab section. I even posted a GRE Word of the Day on facebook on a regular basis (I just had to share those words with everyone else hahahahah).

I totally know that a high GRE score isn't a "get out of jail free" card. But it certainly can't hurt - and it may even help. I've always been crap at standardized tests - my SAT scores were average, and the first time I did the GRE's right out of college I didn't do too wonderfully either. I was actually quite surprised I did so well the second time I took the general GRE this round - but somehow, something just clicked. It gave me the courage to aim really high for the subject test. Even if it means studying poems I'll never look at again, and reading both the American and English norton's cover to cover (which I'm not doing, btw :P). I guess it's all a matter of attitude - I have a real chance here for a personal "survey" of literature. And to add a few must reads to my list that I wasn't very interested in before!

U Michigan is on my long list, btw - I loved their program, and their medieval concentration is very very strong!

See, this is the forum I need. Some things I am taking as given (take classes, talk to faculty, study like hell for the subject test, etc.). The big up-in-the-air question for me is whether I should retake the general GRE? Doing so, I could probably get a 1300+ and still stay competitive in the verbal, but my angle here is that I'm already 98-99% in verbal, with 5.5 on writing, and a shot at kicking some English ass on the subject test. Given those strengths, do you think a place like CU-Boulder would care that I'm in the 35% of math with a 470? (Yep, that's where I'm currently on campus and where I'd like to apply!) I have an appointment with the graduate chair tomorrow and will post my impressions after that meeting, but part of my consideration to switch fields is to 1. do something (else) that I love; but 2. to play to my strengths. I'm already a little miffed that places like UCSD require a 720 quant for International Studies, because my approach to international studies simply has never been purely quantitative (clearly!). And I can't imagine English being at all quantitative. Is this not right?

So, knowing some things I need to do... what do you say? Retake the general test and risk a lower verbal in favor a higher cumulative? Seems unnecessary for English but Llyr mentioned being at at least 50%... do weigh in, please. I don't care about top 50 schools, I'm looking at getting in to a place where I can become a legit academic and spend my life teaching and writing. For me, that doesn't mean being tenured someplace fancy.

See, this is the forum I need. Some things I am taking as given (take classes, talk to faculty, study like hell for the subject test, etc.). The big up-in-the-air question for me is whether I should retake the general GRE? Doing so, I could probably get a 1300+ and still stay competitive in the verbal, but my angle here is that I'm already 98-99% in verbal, with 5.5 on writing, and a shot at kicking some English ass on the subject test. Given those strengths, do you think a place like CU-Boulder would care that I'm in the 35% of math with a 470? (Yep, that's where I'm currently on campus and where I'd like to apply!) I have an appointment with the graduate chair tomorrow and will post my impressions after that meeting, but part of my consideration to switch fields is to 1. do something (else) that I love; but 2. to play to my strengths. I'm already a little miffed that places like UCSD require a 720 quant for International Studies, because my approach to international studies simply has never been purely quantitative (clearly!). And I can't imagine English being at all quantitative. Is this not right?

So, knowing some things I need to do... what do you say? Retake the general test and risk a lower verbal in favor a higher cumulative? Seems unnecessary for English but Llyr mentioned being at at least 50%... do weigh in, please. I don't care about top 50 schools, I'm looking at getting in to a place where I can become a legit academic and spend my life teaching and writing. For me, that doesn't mean being tenured someplace fancy.

Boulder has a great English PhD program (it's on my long list as well - also my sister will be applying to Naropa for fall 2011, so it would be nice to be in the same city) - and they are MUCH less numbers oriented than the top-ten (Harvard / Yale / Stanford fame). If U-Col Boulder is where you would want to remain, don't bother re-taking the general GRE (although ask the graduate chair EXACTLY about that) and focus on the subject test. No, English is not particularly quantitative. Or even at all. However, some grad schools have a cut-off point, even for the quant (because of fellowships, that ONLY look at your GRE). Before you make any decisions about retaking the general, find out, for each school you plan to apply to, what their Graduate School GRE cutoff is, and then you can decide with all the facts B). Each school is VERY individual. I'm aiming pretty high, to lofty, prestigious schools (at least half the schools in the short list will likely be top-twenty, oh god, I'm a snob....), so I'm putting in a great deal of effort into every single aspect of my application, including the stupid tests. When I saw the 720 flashing on the screen when I finished the general GRE I started jumping up and down in my chair and throwing air-punches :lol: (the moderator was excited for me as well. Not many people score above 700V in Israel...). And I was SO pleased that I raised my quant score as well (mostly out of relief that I will NEVER EVER HAVE TO TAKE THE GENERAL GRE AGAIN). The overall sense is that the English departments don't care too much about your quant score. But I would find out as much as possible before deciding to retake or not to retake the exam.

Check out this site for a LOT of data regarding GPA and GRE scores at various schools: http://web2.ade.org/ade/bulletin/N083/083053.htm . It's not the bible, but it can definitely give you an idea of what to aim for!!

Check out this site for a LOT of data regarding GPA and GRE scores at various schools: http://web2.ade.org/...N083/083053.htm . It's not the bible, but it can definitely give you an idea of what to aim for!!

I think this is the most helpful website I've seen all day!

So, where would that 700+ that you're aiming for put you, percentile-wise? Really damn high, right?

I think this is the most helpful website I've seen all day!

So, where would that 700+ that you're aiming for put you, percentile-wise? Really damn high, right?

95th percentile and above :D. (Hey, I don't want my subject score to feel out-of-its-league compared to the verbal 98th percentile, you know?? hahahahha). I'm also hoping they'll be impressed that I'm revising my writing sample without any profs, advisors, etc. I've actually gotten some really nice ideas for it from studying the critical theories - and ordered a bunch of books accordingly (Including Little, Brown - it's been a while since I've written anything MLA...)

It's a great website - take everything with a grain of salt tho - as you can see, they only list the general GRE verbal (since that's what english departments care about), and there have been deviations from the listed scale. Make sure you find out cut-offs for quant (especially in state schools, for fellowship purposes) with every grad school you apply to :D.

So, not that anyone necessarily cares, but I am processing, therefore I am writing:

When CU's website says that admission to the PhD program requires an MA "or" 30 hours of credit in English, they don't mean "or" as in "or, alternatively," what they mean is, "or, in other words," since an MA at CU is, in fact, exactly 30 hours with no dissertation (dissertation optional, actually).

So, enrolling for a year of classes becomes interesting... rather than getting eligible by stacking hours on my transcript, I'm getting eligible by getting an MA. Not only that, I am enrolling in grad-level courses without admission to the MA, then applying to the MA with credits that can already be counted towards it. This is actually is a pro and a con. Pro: lose no time, waste nothing, in taking these credits... and all the while, chipping away at an MA that I'm not even admitted to, yet. Con: taking "intro to literary analysis" (or whatever) at the 5000 level, instead of the 1000 (as I had originally envisioned), makes perfect sense, obviously, but it slows me way down. Full credit load for undergrads is 12+ credits; for grads, 6+. Meaning that my road to "30 hours" (read: MA) is twice as long.

But wait! Taking a longer time isn't necessarily going to slow down a PhD, because the PhD is structured so differently to account for the MA (as opposed to those International Studies programs that are generally about 6 years for a PhD, this one would be substantially shorter, possibly by half).

So, the only risk would be enrolling in grad-level courses without getting into the MA (b/c, if I get into the MA, then I'm set up for a PhD application even if it doesn't work at CU). And that seems like a small risk if I start wailing on the coursework that the MA requires.

Then, with an MA in the bag (thank you, forum - you get credit for the suggestion), I am legitimately able to apply to an English department AND a polisci department at every school that I apply to (yes, I am still an international studies scholar with a masters in that discipline!). So, next round of PhD applications has just had its chances doubled.

And... if this crazy crossover is what I choose to do, I can get started this fall, which feels a hell of a lot less like a rejection.

So, now I invite feedback. Branwen and others, does this seem overly exuberant, or realistic enough?

And... confirmed: no cut-off of any kind for general GRE, and no, they don't look at the quant. Meaning I can rest easy with what I imagine has to be the most lopsided score in history, moreso than even UMich up there who was 98% / 40%. I'm more like 99% / 35%. And as long as other schools I'll apply to are the same way (which seems likely enough unless it's Ivy League).