Relevance of 'Regulation Theory', 'Social Structure of Accumulation'

diter91

Choosing which schools to apply to and wondering if anyone can suggest any American/Canadian based political scientists working within the 'Regulation School' or 'Social Structure of Accumulation' paradigm. Seems that economists still using these frameworks to explore economic crises (a few at UMass Amherst), but having trouble finding any political economy scholars within political science departments. One example would be Nancy Fraser at the New School.

Here's a link to the program from a 2015 regulation school conference - might be able to find some US/Canadian scholars there: https://theorie-regulation.org/colloques/conference-rr-2015-en/program-rr-2015-en/

Do note that the reason that you're having trouble finding people is because regulation/accumulation theory isn't really something that (North American) political economy scholars study, and there are fairly few economists who do that kind of stuff anymore either. If you adopt that research program in grad school, know that you'll be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to getting an academic job. I will reiterate that I can only speak for US/Canadian political science, and that you may find more work being done in this area elsewhere.

@dagnabbit Thank you - I appreciate your advice. I seem to be having the geographic difficulties you are referring to. I was introduced to these schools of thought in a (recent) grad seminar on accumulation and crises, and have since written a master's research paper using SSA theory to explore demographic trends during the 'neoliberal capitalist' era. 

I think that my difficulty is finding North American scholars working on the political economy of capitalism, rather than comparative political economy. I am finding my interests aligned with faculty at places like Manchester, Lancaster, London, Sydney, etc. (not to mention many Geography departments), but I'm also aware that my interests will evolve and I have strong reasons to remain in North America. I'm not quite sure about the etiquette on naming people, but I do have several North American political scientists in mind (Queens, York, Mac, UofT, Brown, Columbia, Cornell). Do you have any suggestions?