Requesting GRE Disability Accommodation

coffeecoffeebuzzbuzz

Has anyone requested disability accommodation when taking the GRE? If so, what was it like (as in your request, their response, type of accommodation, etc...)? Did the accommodation help your score at all?

I have a few neurological quirks so I am seeking a testing center without florescent lights, paper based, and with extra time for breaks/testing. Has anyone requested anything similar?

• 5 months later...

I'm in the same boat as you. Its looking like $5000 out of pocket JUST to provide that damn ETS board with every last document that demanding board requests.

Its a shame people have to live their lives around labels. I have a few neurological quirks to which result in a processing deficit which has no real verifiable name.

Try telling that to that DAMN ETS they don't care. There should be funding for people in our shoes JUST BECAUSE WE DON'T POSSESS A PRETTY LABEL for their own personal cognitive processes of categorical thinking.

That 5K that no grant or scholarship will even consider covering doesnt even include the standard costs that every other "NORMAL" person has to pay.

When agencies make ADA regulatory processes SO UNREASONABLY EXPENSIVE One can only wonder if this is just another way of preventing intelligent people who have disabilities from entering higher education because of the ignorance of committee members who set forth these excessively high priced demands.

Thus far all of my requests for accommodation have been met by letters requesting more paper work and more tests that have zero relevance to my neurological problems. It appears to be especially difficult to deal with accommodation requests if it is a medical condition that doesn't fit in their stupid boxes. I feel like I am continuously smashing head against a glass ceiling when dealing with ETS and grad schools that are somehow convinced that this stupid exam is an indicator of academic success. The exam does not measure your ability to formulate new ideas, to think critically, and is not a representation of your discipline of study. It is a messed up measurement of your ability to conform to a single way of thinking and processing information.

Ugh. After looking at ETS' site, I decided not to bother. I *should* get more time on the exam but my IEP is, what, 6 or 7 years old and it listed accommodations for the SAT that I really doubt that ETS would even accept it.

I don't want to be more nervous than I need to be.

My boyfriend received accommodations for testing on the GRE and GMAT, and yes it was helpful to his score. As was already noted, it requires significant documentation (phsyco-educational evaluations etc.) to receive testing accommodations, which can be quite costly. Thankfully, his insurance company picked up the tab, but I suspect that is a pretty unusual circumstance. I'm sorry I can't offer specific suggestions on how to get accommodations if it doesn't fall into one of their "standard" reasons for accommodation.

I will note that he sent them a ton of paperwork (more than 40 pages of evaluations including all evaluations from child-hood - present) and ETS' first response was "you are missing XYZ." He had to remind them to actually read what was sent, because it was already included. They re-evaluated his file and there wasn't any further problem.

I have spoken extensively with many at ETS and when I got an idiot on the phone who was only capable of aswering questions for people who possess a nicely labeled category od disability, I instead requested someone esle but *always* acknowledging there efforts so that they would be willing to have someone else help me.

They have some very rude customer service at times.

Just call back and get someone else on the phone,

repeat the process

and with each conversation glean a few more helpful details about what your situations requires.

I found out

A brain trauma is considered a "physical disability" even though the symptoms are that of a learning disability.

The type of documentation that they require you to provide is based on the "origin" of your disability.

This is how you know "which" ETS documentation requirements you personally need to pay attention to.

If you have IEP info and especially if you have previously "approved" documentation like when you have taken SAT's

I spoke with ETS about this, I have IEP's also

In this case YOU ONLY NEED ONE THING

Go to a regular physician to get a referral for a "Nueropsychologist"

Find one who does the high priced testing which you will not need (with old documentation)

ETS says AS LONG AS YOU PROVIDE THE OLD DOCUMENTATION

ALL YOU NEED is an official letter from a "qualified neuropsychologist" who can interpret previous records and previous testing

that is necessary for this "qualified professional" (as ETS calls them) to write you a confirmation letter that reaffirms the fact that your disability is permenant, current and ongoing. Old documentation shows what your condition was.

ETS just needs to confirm that your old documentation is representative of your CURRENT state of your disability.

If you have SAT approval from ETS YOURE SET all you need is that letter to document that the old documentation is also current and make sure the letter states what accommodations youre requesting so that a "qualified professional" has documented the necessity of that accommodation.

I'm also looking into Kaplan test prep they have grant funding to assist with this process specificall for those who are in situations that make it difficault to afford and/or complete any of ETS's exams.

GOOD LUCK